It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #1

amy12345 HB User
Anyone else measure what they eat, eat exactly the same things every day....?

Hi,
I'm 5'4", 109 lbs, so a little bit underweight. In college I was maybe 105, but that's the thinnest I've been. My big problem is that I HAVE TO eat the same things every day, like nonfat yogurt, a certain flavor english muffin, etc. Everything is low or non fat. I also exercise five times a week and when I'm finished, I mark down that I exercised on my calendar. I used to do this so I'd keep track of how many times that week, but now it just makes no sense anymore (I can easily remember what days to take off from workouts). But I just have to do it.

I've done all this for years, but I'm sick of it and it is starting to affect my day to day life. I avoid lunches with people so I can stay home and eat my 'safe' lunch.

Do other people here do this kind of thing too? If you did break out of these habits, how did you do it?

I'm 33 now, have been living like this since I was 18 or so. I was recently diagnosed with anxiety/depression, so my therapist has touched on the eating topic but we are working on other big issues first. I'm also taking Lexapro.

Thanks for any advice from those who have a similar situation (or those whose situations are a little different too! I'm grateful for all advice!).

A.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
(female)

zusanna HB User
Re: Anyone else measure what they eat, eat exactly the same things every day....?

You sound exactly like me! I always eat the same things. Cereals (especially oatmeal), whole grain toast, ALOT of fruits, some veggies (not a big fan of those), ff yogurt, ff ice cream, no red meat, I eat alot of the canned fat free chicken and tuna on whole wheat bread. It's always the same things every single day!! Even when we go out to eat at our favorite resturants it's the same things! I also call these my "safe foods". The ones that I know won't make me gain weight. I've been trying to eat more and increase my calories but I just end up panicking. I try to eat something different and then I panic thinking "Oh no what if this makes me gain a pound!?" I have a 3 muskateers candy bar sitting in my fridge. I used to LOVE them and I keep telling myself I'm going to eat it but whenever I get in the fridge to get a snack I just look at it and panic and then grap an apple or something. I wish I could just eat and not worry about it but it's definently not that easy. I know that recovery involves taking these "risks" though. I know I have to start eating more and not being scared of certain foods that I've put on my "bad" list. I cut down my exercise a bit though. I was doing it five times a week but now it's only 3-4 times. I don't want to go below that though. Everyone needs exercise. I know how frustrating it is. When me and my b/f go out to a resturant with our friends they all order steak or cheesy fries or something else really greasy and fattening and I have a salad with ff dressing. I know I don't have to eat like them and I still should eat healthy but it's just my thoughts that bother me the most. I'm the same as well when it comes to buying everything low fat and fat free. Which I know low fat is ok but most dietitians and health experts say you shouldn't really buy fat free versions of foods you should buy the low or reduced fat instead because your body needs so much fat. That word just scares me....fat. I still have a long ways to go as far as recovering. Today is one of my bad days where I'm feeling fat and down about myself. These days are the worst! Anyway...I just read your post and thought "hey, that's me!" Sometimes it's almost a relief to hear about someone that thinks and does the same things I do. It makes me feel less alone. It's just too bad it has to be something like this though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 07:53 AM   #3

CapricornLove HB User
Re: Anyone else measure what they eat, eat exactly the same things every day....?

OMG yes! I have the same thing EVERYDAY! In the morning I have a small coffee, then at lunch I eat a small bowl of spinach and I allow myself to have 1 ff cookie. Then at dinner I have half of a ff fiber bar with maybe a lil bit of peanut butter on it. But thats it. And I drink alot of water during the day to fill myself up. And to me this is my safe meals. I hate it when someone breaks my schedule and wants to take me to lunch and then I eat a chicken sandwich no mayo no nothing but chicken and the bottom half of the bread, and I feel so guilty for that. Bad enough I don't wanna eat it at all but on top of that I get the comments about why am I taking off the bread? I totally avoid going out for lunch or dinner. I really can't handle the guilt. I'm really bummed out right now cause I haven't worked out in 3 days! I usually do everyday, so I feel completely guilty and miserable right now! But tonight for sure I will work out, I don't care who tries to stop me.. I can't handle this feeling
thanks for listening

Old 01-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
(female)

littleone101 HB User

I don't. But I think its because I live at home and my mother still makes meals and I have to eat them sorta thing... I would. I mean. I have the same thing for breakfast everday and now that I make my own lunch or let me change that always forget to make my lunch I normally have the same thing for lunch which is usually nothing. I too drink alot of water. It keeps me sane really.
~Mel

Old 01-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #5

amy12345 HB User

Thanks for your responses. It does make me feel a little bit less alone to know I'm not the only one who has to deal with this. I also panic when I plan to eat a little bit more, or try a new food, so at the last minute, I just give up and resort to my measuring and eating the same thing. For me, the guilt afterward is just not worth it.
I noticed too that the more stressed, anxious or lonely I feel, the harder and more precise I measure and eat exactly the same thing. I will measure yogurt in a cup measure and take a butter knife and scrape off the top to make it an exact cup. This is when I'm feeling terrible. When I'm having a good day, I'll let it overflow a tiny bit and treat myself!
I can see now how this is really holding me back from enjoying life.
Thanks again for your posts about this!!

Closed Thread