It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Cashews!!

I guess I have been diagnosed as technically having "anorexia" even though I don't like saying this myself because I EAT and I eat A LOT. I don't skip meals, I don't only eat fat free, and I exercise very moderately.
I am just about 6' tall and weigh 132lbs. I have been seeing a therapist as well as a nutritionist and my goal is to get up to about 145lbs. I have been trying for over a month now and have not gained any weight, but I feel like that is IMPOSSIBLE. Tonight, for example, I ate a huge portion of honey cashews after dinner, which is a lot of calories. I have mixed feelings now. A) I know it's good because I need to gain weight
B) I am so full and feel really fat and disgusted with myself, and
C) I feel anxious
All I can think about is how I HAVE to work out tomorrow and I don't want to eat anything until I actually feel hungry tomorrow because I ate so much tonight. I usually eat breakfast everyday so this might mean just waiting until lunchtime to eat.
Can someone please tell me if my thoughts are irrational and make me feel more at ease!? I feel like I binged!

Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

juicy*lucy HB User
Re: Cashews!!

Hi LS,

I'm glad to hear that you are getting some help, I know that you have had food issues for a while and it's good to see you working towards getting to a healthy weight.

One of the things I've noticed most with my own recovery is how little I actually feel genuinely hungry. I try to eat regularly even if it's just something small coz I feel ill so often and so lightheaded that I assume that I must be hungry. I don't get the growling stomach like normal people do Another thing is it takes meals a long time to get through my system so I often have three or four days' worth of food inside me at once. This makes me feel full. I don't know if any of these things apply to you...? Also we can often think that we've eaten LOADS and LOADS, but if we wrote everything down with the calorie content, we would probably find that it's perhaps just enough to maintain our weight. If you're trying to gain you need to be keeping your calorie intake above your requirement levels, and I think for anoretics to get used to this amount of food takes a long time.

I really would advise eating breakfast every day, even if you're not hungry. It speeds up your metabolism and gets your whole system going - to be honest the calories you consume at breakfast time are pretty much the easiest calories to burn off.

I'd go back to your nutritionist and explain the problems you're having, and see if perhaps they can give you a more detailed food plan or something. I'm not sure how it all works as I've never had a nutritionist or anything. Your thoughts definitely aren't irrational though, just part of the whole ED. From what you've written I certainly wouldn't say that you've binged at all!!

Take care,

J*L xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks, J*L. Eating breakfast is something that i do every single day, and i agree, it is very good for you! I also don't skip meals or skimp on fat, so i don't know what the problem is. I have not gained an ounce. Perhaps I have to eat so much more than I realize to actually gain weight, which sounds like a good thing, but it's actually really frustrating! Here is a typical day- what do you think?
Breakfast: bowl of cottage cheese with an apple and blueberries
Lunch: whole wheat pita with hummus, lowfat feta, tomatoe, lettuce and turkey
Snack: baby carrots
Dinner: Edamame, Asian tofu (4 sticks) with broccoli and mushroom stir fry and a little brown rice
Dessert: carbolite frozen yogurt with strawberries

Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

littleone101 HB User

The title of this post caught my eye! Cashews! I love them. They are actually the one food I love! I'm anorexic and my mother wont' let me eat them cause they are too fatty. Get this. Sometimes I wonder if she cares really. Anyways. yeah. My best friend gave me a can of cashews for christmas. It was the best gift ever. Anyways. Yes. There was really no point to this post but yeah.
~Mel

Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I LOVE cashews, too. That is the problem. Haha. You need to try Honey Toasted Cashews from the Sunflower food company ([url]www.sunflowerfoodcompany.com[/url])...they are to DIE FOR!
Why won't your mother let you eat them? If you are anorexic, doesn't she want you to get better? My mom knows that they are my favorite so she buys tons of them for me because she WANTS me to eat them...haha.
Anyway, what do you think of the sample day that I posted?

Old 01-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
(female)

littleone101 HB User

My mother doesn't really seem to care much about it... you'd think she'd want me gaining weight.. but whatever. No. I've never tried that kind. I will however. Thanks.
~Mel

Old 01-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I can't believe she isnt trying to help you with your problem or encouraging you to gain weight. That is awful. I'm sorry.
You can (AND SHOULD) eat all the cashews you want...enjoy!!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
(female)

balivion HB User

Here is a typical day- what do you think?
Breakfast: bowl of cottage cheese with an apple and blueberries
Lunch: whole wheat pita with hummus, lowfat feta, tomatoe, lettuce and turkey
Snack: baby carrots
Dinner: Edamame, Asian tofu (4 sticks) with broccoli and mushroom stir fry and a little brown rice
Dessert: carbolite frozen yogurt with strawberries[/QUOTE]

You are eating about the same kind of diet that I am to LOSE weight. If you want to gain weight, you need to eat carbohydrates, and stop eating lowfat foods. I am not sayin go out and indulge in a dozen doughnuts but, if you eat low carb, low fat foods, you are not going to gain weight unless you eat A LOT of them. Like I said you eat pretty much the same thing I do, and I am on a diet to lose weight. Wich a nutritionist has given me, because I freaked when I got above my IBW. My son, who is still just a baby, however, because of me, has lost a lot of weight, and he is now on a highcarb, high fat, high calorie diet to gain it back.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

But I do eat carbs AND I eat a ton of avocados and nuts, so I do eat fats, too. I definitely eat very healthy most of the time, but I don't need to eat UNhealthy to gain weight. Today, for example, I ate a turkey sandwich for lunch and then ate apple slices smothered in peanut butter. I'm not sure what else to do or how to get rid of the anxiety that surrounds food/eating?!?!

Old 01-18-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Guys i dont think that this is the board to ask advice on what youve eaten...maybe try the diet and nutrition board, where posting the amounts and foods youve eaten all day will likely not be as much of a risk of triggering anything for anyone. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Ok- sorry. Just wanted some healthful advice...

Old 01-20-2005, 05:51 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

juicy*lucy HB User

LS,

Don't worry. I think probably nearly all of the posts on this board could be triggering to someone, we are all triggered by different things. The thing is you are not trying to trigger and people understand that. It's a good idea to ask about your diet as you are trying so hard to recover, it's fantastic that you are frustrated by not putting on weight! Perhaps this is also the sort of thing that you could ask your nutritionist - write a food journal and take it to him/her and explain that you don't think you're eating enough to gain, and could they help you put together some meal plans etc? I think that would give you more confidence with your diet if it's coming from a nutritionist.

I hope you're doing okay, and keep eating those cashews! Nuts are really good for you

Takre care,
J*L xxx

Old 01-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks J*L...Good luck to everyone!

Closed Thread