It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #1

MissGooberLynn HB User
Question Is "Occasional" Binging/Purging all that bad?

[B] I used to be a bulimic that binged/purged almost every day. I am doing so much better now, but every now and then (about once a month) I give into temptation (or stress) and binge and purge. Am I in any real danger doing this? I really feel like I have ahandle on my ED now...it no longer "rules" my life...but every so often, it's like I "like" to do it, to let myself eat the junk food I do not eat normally...almost like a "reward" for eating so well usually. Anyone else like this? Are "occasional" bulimics as in as much physical danger as "every day" bulimics?

Old 05-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

secrets_07 HB User
Re: Is "Occasional" Binging/Purging all that bad?

Hi
I currently am trapped in Bulimia which I feel I have no control over so I give you credit for gaining back that control. It makes sence to think that b/p less than a regular bulimic is less dangerous, but in my opinion..........I think that if you can, try and end it all together. I definitly know how hard it is. But I guess that doing it like once a month is better than what I do, so if you've cut it down that much, than mayber through time it will stop completely. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #3

MissGooberLynn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrets_07
Hi
I currently am trapped in Bulimia which I feel I have no control over so I give you credit for gaining back that control. It makes sence to think that b/p less than a regular bulimic is less dangerous, but in my opinion..........I think that if you can, try and end it all together. I definitly know how hard it is. But I guess that doing it like once a month is better than what I do, so if you've cut it down that much, than mayber through time it will stop completely. Good luck.
I know how you feel. I though I would NEVER, EVER end the cycle...and I was bulimic for nine years. I still do not consider myself totally "cured" and am not sure if I ever will..I wish I could offer some advice on how to quit, but the presiding factor that influenced me is that my health completely broke and I HAD to. The first week was absolute hell...I wanted to binge SO BAD I would ge anxious, start sweating, felt like I was going crazy...But whenever I wanted to binge, I literally locked myself in my room and went to bed and prohibited myself to get out, or I took a two hour bath and would not let myself get out. Also, I would take a sleeping pill (a safe, doctor prescribed one...) before I took a shower or bath when I felt anxious so I would be too tired to binge when I got out. Maybe not the best advice, but it helped. For me, Therapy was absolutely Useless...I actually made me worse. But it does help some people.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
(female)

secrets_07 HB User

That must have been complete HELL for nine years! I'm so sorry. I just want to be normal again. I've been told to see a counselor, but I also feel that it would just make things worse. Those were some good tips. Did they really work well for you? I'm anorexic all day until I get home and the I feel like a monster is waiting for me (bulimia). So how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to be 16 in three weeks. Are things getting any better for you?

Old 05-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #5

MissGooberLynn HB User
Talking Re: Is "Occasional" Binging/Purging all that bad?

Hi Secrets....
Therapy did not work for me. I know people say that therapy takes a long time before you see any results...and that if you "don't think" about your disorder that you are just "avoiding it" but I really felt that talking about it DID make me worse. It did make me feel better to put it out of mind. I played a lot of mind games with myself..lol...I told myself one day "Bulimia does not exist. I can not do it.." and I really stated getting scared after that much publicized story about the woman (whom I can't mention because my post will be deleted) who went into a vegetative state supposedly because of her eating disoder. I really was afraid to die. I think that scared me out of it...the fact that you CAN have a heart attack at any time and you can develope a chemical imbalance at any time. I started thinking about, what if I died in the middle of the night and my parents had to find my body? I know that is grim and horrible..but it helped me. I mean, I still do it occassionally, unfortuantely, but not nearly as much as before. You have got to occupy your time with other things...and you have GOT to eat at times where it is impossible for you to throw up, like at school. I used to starve myself all day and them binge and purge at night too....WHICH, FYI, Not to annoy you because I disregard this knowledge at times when I want to binge and purge...when you starve your body all day, when you binge your body absorbes calories much quicker and you digest at a much quicker rate because your body is starving..meaning you will not be able to purge all the food out. So you are much better, atleast, to eat small snacks throughout the day if you are going to binge and purge at night..also not eating AT ALL REALLY SLOWS YOUR METABOLISM, which will make you fatter. Seriously, you must eat something to keep your metabolism going or you will store more fat.
Do you drink a lot of water after you purge? Atleast drink one large glass, or juice, to rehydrate yourself, and a small snack like a banana (Hardly any calories but full of potassium) I also recommend buying a postassium supplement at the store and taking 1-2 a day to make sure you don't develope an imbalance.
And DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF EVER!!
Hope I helped...don't hesitate to write again.
You can get better....I was an obsessive bulimic for almost 10 years so If I can quit you can!! Oh, I am 22

Last edited by MissGooberLynn; 05-05-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
(female)

secrets_07 HB User

Hi,
I've been sooooo busy lately. The thing about eating during the day.......... it's really hard to. I seriously am scared of food. When I get home, I feel safe to eat. I don't do big binges. I'll eat some and then throw up. Then eat more and throw up, etc. I mostly drink water during the binges to help get food up. Afterwards I do to but not much. I just bought the One-A-Day WeightSmart pills that will help speed up my metabolism. I agree that talking about it makes it worse. But only when the person/people I'm talking to are trying to "fix me". I hate that! People who don't suffer have no idea how hard it really is (any ED). But when I'm talking to someone who goes through the same things, someone who I can relate to, it's not so bad. I actually feel better. But when it's someone like a psychologist or a friend who's trying to help, I don't want to talk. I have been improving though. I used to B/P about 10 times a day and it's gotten down to 1-3. That's because it's taking to much out of me. I have no energy to do anything and I'm ALWAYS tired no matter how long I've slept.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #7

MissGooberLynn HB User
Talking Re: Is "Occasional" Binging/Purging all that bad?

Just a quick question, which you may not know the answer to:
When you are binging/puring 10 times a day, is it more the FOOD you feel addicted to or the actual process of PURGING? Because I used to do big binges because I hated throwing up and didn't want to throw up any more than I had to once I had my fix (of high fat foods, sugar,ect)
I don't want to say its BETTER, but I think even doing one or two big binges is a lot better than doing it constantly...I think you could be in serious danger of tearing your esophagus vomiting so many times a day (sorry, I am sure you alreay know that...) And I bet your electrolytes are seriously out of wack because everytime you vomit, your potassium level gets screwed up. Did you buy an extra potassium supplement? You should take one with a little bit of juice and a half of a banana after you binge/purge before you go to bed at night.
Do you know why you started bulimia in the first place? How long have you been doing it?
I'm here to talk

Old 05-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
(female)

secrets_07 HB User

Thanks, I need to talk. I'm more addicted to the food rather than the purging. I used to do big binges because I also hated throwing up, but then I realized that it'd be more effective if I "emptied" in the middle of binges to get more out. I don't hate throwing up because it's "nasty"; I hate it because it takes so much out of me that after a few times, I just want to sleep for hours. That's why I really think once Bulimia worsened over the past few months, that's why my grades lowered and stuff. I would b/p when I got home 'till bedtime and had no time for homework. I wanted so badly to stop but I had no control. I would pray everyday that I could have the strength to come home and just be normal and do homework and everything I really needed to do. I have been bulimic and anorexic for almost two years. Everything started out as a diet. Then I lost some weight and wanted to keep going. Eating Disorders never even entered my mind. Then I started to cut out breakfast. Then lunch. After about a week or two, I lost a lot of weight. Then I would binge because I was so hungry. So after a particular binge, I felt so guilty that I made myself throw up. After that, I became addicted! I felt there was no way to eat unless I threw up afterwards. Then this school year, I've been so busy with school that I could get out of dinner too. So some weeks I would go from Sunday night to Thursday night without eating. I get so scared of food. Then I would binge and throw up. I've been like this for a while. I've thought about all the health issues, but I'm so lost in this cycle that they don't matter. Like a smoker who's addicted doesn't care about the side affects. I care, but I have no control (not that that should be an excuse, but it's the truth). Some times after I b/p I just cry and wish I could get out of this. The wierd thing is though, that I don't want help. I know that sounds stupid. Well, thanx for listening. I'm here too for whatever you have to say.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
(female)

secrets_07 HB User

Hey,
I was wondering how you were doing. Haven't heard from ya. Hope everything's okay

Old 05-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
(female)

tiffers HB User

MissGooberLynn, I'd like to talk to you about bingeing/purging. I have been battling bulimia for almost 10 years now.

Closed Thread