It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

mandabear HB User
missed period & puking blood

Last month I had my period for 3 days, and this month I haven't had it at all when I should have already. I've had an ED for almost 2 years. It went from a stage of anorexia and occasional bulimia...to bulimia...to overeating...and back to anorexia and bulimia. Today I was so stressed out, I knew I was going to binge/purge. I threw up twice and ended up puking blood. What does this mean?

I thought it was weird that I've missed my period because I thought that only happened when you're underweight or when you throw up everyday. I usually end up purging only 2-5 times a week. I am 5'5" and 156 lbs (technically just overweight.) I am frustrated, why cant i just be thin and healthy? And not obsess over food??? What is wrong with me??

Old 05-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
(female)

secrets_07 HB User
Re: missed period & puking blood

Hi,
My story is exactly like yours. I started out with ana, then slight mia, then I would just over-eat and not purge as much as usual, and now, back to both ana and mia. I've never thrown up blood; but I have had nose bleeds and gotten Strep Throat. You should seriously consider easing up on the mia for now until you give your throat some time to heal. As far as the period thing.....I would miss my period for a couple days when I wouldn't eat for a long time. But if I started to b/p within that time, then it would start. I don't know how to explain that! I just hope that nothing bad happens to you because it sounds like it's getting serious. In my opinion, Bulimia is more dangerous than Anorexia. No doubt that ana is VERY serious, but bulimia not only causes you to not nourish you body right, but also can lead to extreme heart failure from purging, throat and esophogus damage, rotted teath, and much more. Ana can cause a lot of that stuff to, but mia goes unnoticed more than ana b/c you don't lose as much weight and stuff. It sucks when you have to deal with both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

CarryOnBoo HB User

One thing i would say is be aware of the affect that missing your periods for a long period of time can have on your bone density because of the lack of oestrogen. My periods stopped and i believe thats the cause behind my bone loss osteopenia. which for many people can lead to osteoporosis.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

i lost my period for pretty much 2 years now...it blows.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran

liza2 HB User

What tests were done to show that you have bone loss osteopenia? Just curious cause i havnt had a period in about 9 months now

Old 05-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

CarryOnBoo HB User

the gynaecologist sent me for a bone density scan. ask your dr about it as Nine months is quite a long time to be without a period.

Closed Thread