It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

zusanna HB User
Unhappy Counting cals....how do I stop????

I'm completely obssessed with counting cals. I'm recovering from an ED and I'm now at a healthy weight and trying to maintain it, but I still count cals everyday. I allow myself 1700-1800 cals a day. Saturday is an exception because we go out that night for dinner and I eat whatever I want and don't worry about it....I LOVE saturday night! I just wish I could be that way all the time. I just have this fear of getting fat (which is still my evil ED). I feel if I don't count cals I will lose control of how much I'm eating and gain alot of weight, even though I know deep down that's not true because it takes alot to even gain 1 pound. I hate being like this!! Food controls my life and it's driving me crazy! I was getting better and not worrying so much about what I eat but I feel like my ED is rearing it's ugly head again and I don't know how to stop it....I'm scared. When I do tell myself I'm going to stop counting cals it only lasts a day or two and I'm back at it again without even realizing it. I've just memorized the cals in so many things and it's just second nature to me to calculate them and keep track. I've done it for so long now that it's just a habit. This is a normal day for me....300 cals for breakfast...100 cal mid-morning snack....400 cal lunch....200 cal afternoon snack....500 cal supper...200 cal evening snack. It usually totals out at around 1700 cals a day. Also I'm still afraid of fat. Everything I eat is low-fat or fat free. I know most days I don't meet my quota for even the "minimum" fat intake. Please I just need some tips, advice, encouragement...whatever to help me. If you used to be like this but got over it, share your story and tell me how you did it. I'm desperate here. To me this is like a drug addiction or something, it's something I want to stop but just can't. I'm SO frustrated with myself!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User
Re: Counting cals....how do I stop????

hey hun! first off, congrats on recoverying! i am so proud of u...we have chatted lots, and i know what ur goin thru. ask for the calories? once u get deeper into the recovery and learn to love and respect urself, u eventually will quit. also, ull start accepting higher fattening foods. i did. i now eat tons of peanut butter, nuts, nonlow fat salad dressings, cheese, and watnot. the day'll come. dont u worry. as annoying as it is...! just remember, ur not going to gain weight from just one meal. impossible.

its hard to let food not control ur life but hun u can do it!! if i managed, i know u can 2. dont let the whole
media" thing get u hooked on "counting calories" "fad diets" "atkins...ect". who needs em? just be urself, love urself and accept urself. thats all there is to it.

Keep me posted!

Old 06-15-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Piscean,

Don't feel guilty, feel PROUD. Count calories ever day of your life if you must.
I have found it is the ONLY reliable means of weight control and I have notebooks going back DECADES with my calorie counts.
As long as you are counting calories, you needn't unnecessarily fear fats; they are 9 calories per gram and that is ALL that they are, nothing scarier. If you can fit them into your calorie count and you'd like some...ENJOY. On the other hand, nobody ever dies from a fat deficiency in the presence of adequate food. A couple grams of unsaturated fats will provide all you need and there is ZERO requirement to eat any saturated fat; the human body MAKES it out of any excess nutrients (as we ALL know.)
It is also completely impossible in the real world to eat 1700 calories without getting enough fat.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-15-2005 at 07:42 AM.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Piscean,

Don;t feel guilty; feel PROUD. Count calories ever day of your life if you must.
I have found it is the ONLY reliable means of weight control and I have notebooks going back DECADES with my calorie counts.
As long as you are counting calories, you needn;t unnecessarily fear fats; they are 9 calories per gram and tha is ALL that they are. If you can fit them into your calorie count and you;d like some...ENJOY. On the other hand, nobody ever does froma fat deficiency in the presence of adequate food. A couple grams of unsaturated fats will provide all you need and there is ZERO requirement to eat any saturated fat; the human body MAKES it out of any excess nutrients (as we ALL know.)

Keep up the good work!
Lenin, when one is counting calories, and say for example the label says 220 calories and 9 grams of fat. Do you have to ADD on 9x9 which is 81. WHich totals 301!! Or is the label stating what it already is? I think it's already included, lol. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

And Piscean, Lenin has a good point. There is nothing wrong with counting calories. As long as your at a healthy weight, menstrating, and not "unhealthy" then don't worry. I think ANYONE that recovers from an ED shoud give themselves a pat on the back for being healthy and stop looking for ways to be mad at yourself. You should be PROUD, not MAD. Your healthy, and functioning strong and maintaining THAT is all that matters!

Old 06-15-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

zusanna HB User

Ok, I'm not sure you both understood my point. This has become an OBSESSION. Food and counting cals is controlling my life and it needs to stop. Not everyone that maintains a healthy weight counts every cal that goes into their mouth. I'm trying to recover from an ED and counting cals isn't part of recovering. This is affecting my everyday life and it causes me way too much unecessary stress, which with an anxiety problem, isn't what i need. I know there are probably tons of (overweight) people out there that only wishes they could be like me and constantly count cals and make it part of their daily life but my advice to them would be DON'T. It's so easy to get obsessed with it and before you know it you have an ED and become grossly underweight. That's what happened to me. I'm now at the lowest range of the healthy weight range for my height. It wouldn't hurt me to gain 5 more pounds but I'm happy with where I am. I just feel that this is keeping me from fully recovering and living a normal life. It's great for people that can do this without being completely obsessed with it but I'm not one of them. Do you understand my point now?

Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jessica,

No the CALORIES listed on the Nutrition Label comprise ALL the calories in the food, even the dietary fiber which really can be subracted at a rate of 4 calories per gram because they aren't digested. Usually easiest to just ignore except for super-high fiber foods like legumes.
The fat, carbs and protein are extra info and the calorie based dieter needs only two numbers...calories/seriving and number of servings per container. For the SUPER counters like me who weigh most everything, the WEIGHT of a serving is very useful also.

Piscean,
Let's face it. Anyone who has/has had an eating disorder is an obsessive-compulsive from the get-go. Why not work it to your advantage. Maybe after time you will gain an understanding of the caloric consequences without thinking about it. But for now, just try to do the mechanics of the counting and leave the obsession behind.
After each day, total your calories for the day (and nothing else...forget fat) and then use that total to adjust what you eat TOMORROW.

You will probably never lose your personality; might as well work it to your advantage. With time, calorie counting becomes a more relaxed thing.
A good obsession isn't necessarily a bad thing...after all, the Sistine Chapel wasn't painted on a whim.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-16-2005 at 05:32 AM.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

i personally dont think coutning cals is a good idea...especially if ur recoverying from an ED. itll just make things worse. counting vals is actually how i began my bulmia in the first place. its not worth it, u dont have to count every single calorie to maintain a healthy weight, and besides piscean, u need to gain weight. this is all my opinion neways, i just dont think counting cals is good for her. everybody i know dont count their cals but look great and healthy. who needs to count? honestly...

take care piscean.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Unless you count calories you don't know what you're eating, and for a recovering anorectic, eyeballing food portions will result in eating teeny portions and assuming they are ENORMOUS.

We all know the person with the reverse "blindness" who always claims "I never eat a THING and I'm SO FAT!"
When tha person tabulates what he/she has REALLY eaten the realization can be startling and the reason the person is fat is because he/she has been deluding himself/herself while pigging out day by day.

Calorie counting is the touch with reality that dieters need, whether one is gaining or losing! Anything less is like a blind man in a supermarket!

If you want the truth of how much you are eating you MUST pay attention to it...and that means COUNTING!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-16-2005 at 02:32 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Lenin while you may have a valid point for some, I don't believe this is relevant to the poster asking, nor is it right to be offering such advice to someone with an eating disorder. While you probably think you know what eating disorders are all about, there is no way you could understand the magnitude of impact that something as "simple" as counting calories has on one life's, and NOT in a good way. Do not underestimate the dangers of becoming obsessive about calories- it's definately not as simple as 'leaving the obsession behind'.

I think this question is better directed at the eating disorder board, where the people there have more credibility in their answers..

Last edited by girlygirl11; 06-16-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

girlygirl,
Why not give advice to Piscean who asked the question rather than to me who gave an opinion.
If I feel the need someone to judge my post, rest assured I will ask for aid. Let me be the judge of the relevance of my answer. Thank you.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I'm not judging your post Lenin, I'm just trying to explain why several other posters have offered the advice that counting calories is nto a good idea, even though you are adamant that it is. In addition, I'm trying to explain why it's not a good idea, because for many people such as yourself, counting calories is a way of life that allows you to be healthy and fit, while for others it is an obsession that takes over a life! It sounds a bit melodramatic, but trust me, it's true. I didn't mean to offend you in any way, so I apologize if i did. I did give advice to Piscean, saying she she post her question on another board where it is more suitable.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
(female)

zusanna HB User
Unhappy Counting Cals....how do I stop???

I'm completely obssessed with counting cals. I'm recovering from an ED and I'm now at a healthy weight and trying to maintain it, but I still count cals everyday. I allow myself 1700-1800 cals a day. Saturday is an exception because we go out that night for dinner and I eat whatever I want and don't worry about it....I LOVE saturday night! I just wish I could be that way all the time. I just have this fear of getting fat (which is still my evil ED). I feel if I don't count cals I will lose control of how much I'm eating and gain alot of weight, even though I know deep down that's not true because it takes alot to even gain 1 pound. I hate being like this!! Food controls my life and it's driving me crazy! I was getting better and not worrying so much about what I eat but I feel like my ED is rearing it's ugly head again and I don't know how to stop it....I'm scared. When I do tell myself I'm going to stop counting cals it only lasts a day or two and I'm back at it again without even realizing it. I've just memorized the cals in so many things and it's just second nature to me to calculate them and keep track. I've done it for so long now that it's just a habit. This is a normal day for me....300 cals for breakfast...100 cal mid-morning snack....400 cal lunch....200 cal afternoon snack....500 cal supper...200 cal evening snack. It usually totals out at around 1700 cals a day. Also I'm still afraid of fat. Everything I eat is low-fat or fat free. I know most days I don't meet my quota for even the "minimum" fat intake. Please I just need some tips, advice, encouragement...whatever to help me. If you used to be like this but got over it, share your story and tell me how you did it. I'm desperate here. To me this is like a drug addiction or something, it's something I want to stop but just can't. I'm SO frustrated with myself!!!

Old 06-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran

liza2 HB User
Re: Counting Cals....how do I stop???

Ugh i know exactly what you mean. I have been trying to eat more and not worry about calories because i am trying to convince myself its good for me... but there is still that stupid voice inside my head that is adding up everything and reminding me that calories make you fat. I wish I could free myself from this but it never seems to go away. I have to go out to eat tonight with a friend, and i am already trying to figure out what i am going to allow myself... ugh its so aggrevating!
liza

Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

hey, ive noticed this same post in the diet and nutrition...and dont agree with lenin. he has no idea what hes talking about. counting calories is not good for us with EDs. just eat when ur hungry, healthy meals and who cares baout calories

Old 06-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I completely agree with Sammy- and keep in mind (everyone on these boards pay attention too!) that posting in the diet and nutrition board will get you answers from people who don't understand eating disorders, and thus are giving advice that isn't right for us. As a dieter, Lenin feels that counting cals is needed, and clearly doesn't understand the severity of it with an ED. I don't think (unless it is more of a general question) you or anyone here should post questions like this on the other baords because they will get responses that aren't appropriate for EDs...just be careful, and do what's right!

Closed Thread