It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

Praise05 HB User
URGENT ! Recovering Anorexic :Why am I Gaining Weight with LESS than 700 Calories ???

I am Recovering from Anorexia and I used to eat less than 250 Calories a day :0( and now I am trying to Recover :0) and I am eating about 700 Calories a day wich is still undereating and I am gaining almost a pound each day ! Why and how is that happening ? Is that ALL actual weight gain or is some of it just Water/Food weight ? Someone Please Explain This To Me cause it doesn't make any sense for me to be gaining this rapidly while still undereating ??? Thank You

Old 08-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
(female)

snitter HB User
Re: URGENT ! Recovering Anorexic :Why am I Gaining Weight with LESS than 700 Calories ???

3500 calories in a pound of fat, so it's doubtful you are gaining actual weight (more like water weight)- i'll let YOU do the math on this one.

Last edited by m0d3; 08-06-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

snitter HB User
Re: URGENT ! Recovering Anorexic :Why am I Gaining Weight with LESS than 700 Calories ???

but now... let's talk about YOU. how LONG have you been eating only 250 calories a day? i really can't tell ya much without a bit of background.

Last edited by m0d3; 08-06-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Well, any time you increase your calories when you have been drastically undereating, you will gain weight. I mean, you body wants and needs to put on weight, so any little calorie increase will probably make you gain, but I doubt you are gaining as rapidly as you think and I am 99.9% sure that most of it is water weight. Once you start to eat 700, then 800, then 900, then 1000 calories a day, you body will SETTLE at a healthy weight and stop gaining,but right now it is desperate to put on weight. Have your periods stopped?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maggie043 HB User

I agree your body is used to starving and now you are feeding it so it is hanging onto every little thing you give it - water weight, edema, whatever doesn't really matter - the great thing is you are eating - congrats!! The same thing happened to me I am now eating 930 calories a day (from less than 400) just don't let it get you or you will be right back starving again - I guarantee it.....stay strong. Don't let ED fool you - it will try to convince you that you are doing the wrong thing - tell ED to hit the road!

Old 08-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran

liza2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie043
Don't let ED fool you - it will try to convince you that you are doing the wrong thing - tell ED to hit the road!
I love that! Thanks Maggie!!

Old 08-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

maggie043 HB User

thanks Liza - every once in awhile the ED fog clears and I go oh crap ED is lying to you big time maggie .....

Old 08-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
(female)

Praise05 HB User

Hey Thanks for replying everyone ! I was Anorexic for a year and my periods stopped 9 Months ago & I was severely Restricting my calories to less than 250 a day for the last 2 Months and before that I was eating about 300-500 Calories a Day !

Old 08-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
(male)

paulbpc HB User

You can't gain weight that quickly. Your metabolism has slowed down from extreme dieting so you will gain weight more easily but this is definitely a lot of water you are hanging on to. Your body has gotten used to very little calories and it wants to gain weight so it's hanging on to water and anything else it can! Gain some muscle too, that should help.

Last edited by m0d3; 08-06-2005 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Please keep in mind this is an EATING DISORDER forum, and not a diet/weight loss forum

Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Also, your body has been literally starving for a long time. Your metabolism cuts way down in an effort to keep you alive.
Are you doing this with the help of a professional? YOu must be careful not to shock your body; many people die if they refeed improperly. Please be careful, and reach out for help. And good for you to take charge now!
From what I've learned during my own long battle with anorexia, eating protein is really necessary. On so few calories, you must be very, very emaciated, and your body has been burning muscle tissue to stay alive, even heart muscle.
I hope you work with a dietician on this.

Peace,

Seaturtle

Old 08-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
(female)

Praise05 HB User

Hello & Thank You All so much for replying ! I don't have any Medical Insurance & My Family cannot afford any Medical help ! I am currently eating just about 700 Calories a Day for about 5 Days nnow and I have gained 3 LBS. That's so strange because I haven't even "upped" My Caloric intake enough to be gaining ?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #12
(female)

Praise05 HB User

Well, I only gained 1 lbs. I think the other 2 lbs. were just food/water weight cause Yesterday I ate 3 Pria Bars and I drank a bottle of water and this Morning I finally went to the bathroom to do #2 wich I hadn't done in the past 2 Days and I realized that I have only gained 1 lbs. not 3 lbs. My Weight just Fluctuates alot when I eat semi-normal !

Closed Thread