It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

Casey924 HB User
ADs approved for those w. EDs??

Hey all.. I posted this same thing on the Depression board & the suggested I asked you guys, so here we go...
Last week my doctor was going to prescribe me Wellbutrin for this all-encompasing fatigue & other strain of symptoms I've had for the past 4 months which can't seem to be identified as anything as of yet. When asking me some routine questions I happened to mention I was bulimic for a couple years a while back. She immediately said nevermind, Wellbutrin's not approved for you then. Does anyone know of anything that is approved & that helps with energy so I can bring it up at my next appt? Thanks in advance to your responses, Casey*

Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: ADs approved for those w. EDs??

Hi,

Prozac is used for EDs who have regained their weight, and for bulimics, to help control compulsive vomiting. Also Zoloft and Paxil.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

I personally tried both prozac and zoloft when I was a young teen to treat my bulimia. Both turned me into zombies. I didn't throw up as often, but I was apathetic and didn't care about anything. I started getting D's in school. Years later I tried Effexor and it was the worst experience of my life. Some people have luck with SSRI's, but for me it was a nightmare. So I highly recommend if you try something don't try Effexor because I have heard nothing but horror stories. Do some research online about the different antidepressants and educate youserlf before you take any drug you doctor decides to ge you. As far as wellbutrin, one doctor told me that as long as my electrolyted were OK and all my labs were normal, I was at no greater risk for having a seizure while taking it than anyone else ( I however didn't end up taking it).

Old 10-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

Casey924 HB User

Thank you both for your responses.. I'm really leery about taking anything mood-altering, so am really trying to find another option.. I just need something for energy at this point until we can find out what's wrong with me & treat that. It's been years since I was bulimic, so I didn't really see why the doctor said it would affect how my body would take medication. Thank you both again for your thoughts and experiences.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
(female)

cryingskies HB User

I just wanna say I've taken Zoloft, paxil, prozac, effexor, and lexapro.....I can't say that any one of them really helped at all......zoloft and prozac made me a zombie like natasha said....I called it a robot, but same thing, I just felt like I had no emotion anymore, and like I didnt care about anything. I did a lot of dumb stuff while I was on it a lot of stuff that could have gotten me or others hurt just because I didnt care, I wasnt like afraid of risk because i honest didnt care what would happen next.....the effexor was awful.....paxil wasnt bad n that sense to me, but for some reason it made me like I was on speed or coke or something, i just ran around senselessly and I talked so far no one could understand me, but my mom had to take hers at night because it made her really tired and slow down, so I guess everyone reacts to every medication in their own ways u know, but definately check up on everything with all the valid information that you can find, because u want to be educated and know whats going in ur body and whats it going to do to you. Good Luck

Old 10-05-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey924
Hey all.. I posted this same thing on the Depression board & the suggested I asked you guys, so here we go...
Last week my doctor was going to prescribe me Wellbutrin for this all-encompasing fatigue & other strain of symptoms I've had for the past 4 months which can't seem to be identified as anything as of yet. When asking me some routine questions I happened to mention I was bulimic for a couple years a while back. She immediately said nevermind, Wellbutrin's not approved for you then. Does anyone know of anything that is approved & that helps with energy so I can bring it up at my next appt? Thanks in advance to your responses, Casey*
About this all encompassing fatigue and other strain of symptoms..are you sure you don't have a physical problem??? I had crippling fatigue for years and was just recently diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I had mono for a year and never recovered. I have mild depression, but if I hadn't found out about the CFS I am sure some doc would have said all my symptoms were caused by depression. First make sure you have a full blood workup, check for mono/ebv, ect.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

Casey924 HB User

Natasha,
First of all, thank you for your response.. I know it has to be something physical, we just don't know what as of yet. I have had about every blood test on the planet (around $750 worth to be exact!!).. I have been feeling like this since May with absolutely no relief. All day every day I feel like I could fall asleep at any given moment and my body feels like I've been ran over by a bus. I had mono in high school (years ago) and they thought it might be a reoccurance. A nurse in the doctors office said one of the tests looked probable for mono, but the specific mono test came back negative. Nothing has come up positive (Lupus, R.A... just about everything else you can think of).. I'm completely stumped, not to mention extremely aggrevated. I don't think I'm depressed--more just frustrated from being sick and not knowing what's wrong. The doctor just said an AD might be able to help me make it through the day. Sorry for rambling on, but do you have any suggestions? I'm really going crazy here. How did you get diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue? Is it similar to what I'm experiencing? Thank you so much for your help, and again, sorry for the really long post.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Hi Casey

I can totally relate to what you are going through. A low grade antidepressant MIGHT help you...or it might not. I think too often doctors prescribe AD when they are out of options and think the patient is just depressed. In face lots of docs want to prescribe AD's for CFS, although they have not been proven to help at all. CFS is tricky and I am not an expert but here is what I have been told....I hope they let me post this here as it DOES reate to eating disorders in a ways, since we have both dealt with bulimia...

First, once you have mono the virus NEVER goes away (epstein barr virus) and. Also, just because you test positive for mono does not mean you currently have it, it could just mean you had it in the past. I have tested positive for mono for over a year, but my doc told me that doesn't mean I currently have 'active' mono.

Many people develope CFS after they have mono and "never got over" their mono. However many people who DIDN'T have mono develope CFS for no apparent reason. Some people are just predisposed to developing CFS, and I believe my bulimia probably has a lot to do with it.

I had fatigue long before I was finally so sick I got mono and couldn't hardly roll over in bed.

Since there is no blood test for CFS and no know cure, most docs don't like to make the diagnosis...mine finally did last week.

I would try out vitamins and supplements before trying an AD. Rest and positive thoughts and healthy eating and plenty of rest.

I also have horrible isomnia and though I am tired all the time, I rarely sleep without a prescription sleep aid.

Are you completely over you bulimia??

Hope some of this helps...

Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
(female)

Casey924 HB User

Natasha,
Thank you so much for the very informative reply. I've been doing the multi-vitamin thing for a while now, but with no improvement. I'm really leery to do the whole AD thing because in my opinion I'm not depressed--just sick and tired of feeling like this. Plus, the idea of anything changing my mood scares me.. I might be ****** off or frustrated some of the time, but at least I know it's a real emotion, not one brought on by a medication.
When I last got mono I was a full-fledged bulimic.. I think it definitely had something to do with me getting it. My whole body, not to mention my immune system was shot. Now the bulimia only rarely rears its ugly head. I think about it around once a week, but I very rarely follow through any more. How about you? It's a real b*tch to conquer, isn't it?
I think I might ask my Dr. about CFS next time I go in. What do you do to make regular life tolerable? I find myself barely able to make it through school & work, let alone anything else. I feel like I'm slipping off bc I'm so tired and worn out feeling. How are you managing to cope with the fatigue? Has your doctor given any suggestions?
Thank you again for your replies.. It's really comforting to know that someone else is experiencing similar things & it's not "just in my head" like some of my family is insistant on believing. -Casey*

Old 10-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

My fatigue has been so bad I had to drop out of school last spring. I didn't take any classes all summer and was supposed to go back this fall. I went for week and then my grandma died and I think the stress of that situation plus the CFS and the bulimia make me completely breakdown. I am doing a little better now, but during the funeral and the days after I could barely stand up. I know that stress adds to CFS, but of course stress is unhealthy anyways. It's funny because I remember reading about CFS when I was 17, thinking "I might have this..." and now five years later I do have it. I have been bulimic on and off since age 13 and I know it had just wrecked me. It is odd because all my labs have always been normal, besides the CFS and depression sometime I don't have any health problems.

I am really struggling with the bulimia.....I am still wanting to do it about 1x a week. I don't know why I think doing it will make me feel betten when I know it makes me feel worse...but somehow logic doesn't apply when I want to binge/purge. My mind is still tricking me into thinking, "this will make you feel good, think of how good the food tastes..."

Unfort. since I got CFS I have become less active and have put on some weight (not alot, but enough to cause me to majorly stress) and that only makes me bulimia worse. For right now I am trying to concentrate on getting healthy so I can return to school. It is really pointless for me to try and go right now with the fatigue, and when I am wrapped up with the bulimia my studies seem very inconsequential.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
(female)

Casey924 HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. It's crazy how ED's always seem to pop back up when you have another unrelated stressful issue going on.
How have you been feeling? I haven't posted in a couple days, so I wanted to check and see how things were going
. I called my doctor back today bc I am at an all-time low. I am so frustrated I could just scream and cry and the same time. I'm also gaining weight as a result of not exercising. I'm just too damn tired all the time. I had lost about 5 pounds, but of course, gained back 6. I can't ever keep ahead!
Anyway, let me know how things are & thank you again for all the info on CFS. -Casey*

Old 10-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

I am having the same problem with the weight gain! Even though I am not eating much I am gaining because I haven't exercised in forever because of the fatigue. I used to walk on the treadmill for the last month just the thought doing that makes me weak. What did I do toady? Got up, ate a little, watched TV, took a 2 hour nap, ate a little more, and now will watch more TV. Today has been a bad day. The bulimia was back again yesterday. Are you dealing with the bulimia anymore?? My birthday is on Thursday and I am in a very non-celebratory mood...in fact I know there will probably be cake which will mean a binge. I forgot to tell my mom not to get a cake and she probably already ordered it...

You also might want to check out the chronic fatigue message board for more info on CFS.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
(female)

Casey924 HB User

Today has been a very bad day for me as well. I fell asleep around 7:30 last night & slept all the way through my alarm.. I finally woke up at 11:00!! Missed all my classes. I probably would have skipped out on some of them anyway due to this fatigue. At least I made it to work. It was a struggle, but I got here.
I'm sorry to hear about the bulimia yesterday. I was on a major binge. Before I went to sleep I felt like I just could not satisfy my appetite. I ate 2 baked potatoes, some cherry tomatoes, and a lean cuisine!! Luckily I fell asleep before I could start feeling bad about it.. Otherwise, I have a feeling how it would have ended....
Happy Birthday! I know what you mean about the cake though.. I go with my boyfriend to his grandparents' house about every Sunday & it seems like every week it's someone in his families' birthday. If I'm forced into one more piece of cake I think I'll have to scream!
Well, let me know how you're doing today. Talk to you soon

Closed Thread