It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

blonde2238 HB User
Red face I am a binge eater and am so afraid one day I will just burst...help please!

I have cravings for food, especially junk food, and I will eat until I am stuffed. To make things worse, I have been diagnosed with OCD (this may explain alot). I saw a show the other night about a 750 pound man, and I am so scared I will end up like that...Any advice?

Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User
Re: I am a binge eater and am so afraid one day I will just burst...help please!

don't worry, don't worry! You will NOT burst and you will NOT end up like the 750 pound man! Binge eating is so difficult, and i really think you need help to overcome it. Especially with the OCD, these things are often very closely related. Are you talking to someone (like a therapist) about this? That would be the wisest step. And don't feel embarressed or anything, what you're going through is a disorder and you need help to overcome it. When i was binging, i was absolutely HUMILIATED about my inability to control myself, but now that i'm in therapy, i realize that there's a lot more going on than just that. So, yeah, I'd suggest getting some professional help asap. And don't worry, you won't burst!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
(female)

blonde2238 HB User
Re: I am a binge eater and am so afraid one day I will just burst...help please!

how expensive is therapy? is there anything i can do on my own?

Old 12-16-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
(female)

keepsmilin2 HB User

I'm exactly the same way! I was diagnosed with OCD and I've just started majorly binging in the past month or so... but for me it's like when I eat I feel like I'm eating so much that the fat is going to take up so much room that the blood won't be able to flow properly... I know it's crazy, but thats one of my OCD symptoms, I have the ability to think of these things, and it surprises me! I started therapy and medication and continued both for a few months. Once the OCD had subsided I started binging majorly, it's like my body needed something to obsess about still and it turned to food. I'm now taking another medication to decrease the cravings because the medication I was on had a side effect of craving carbs, or something along those lines... So I don't know if this really helps, I think it's mostly to help me talk about it, but knowing theres someone else that binges AND has OCD means that it's something that can happen to anyone, and that I'm not alone.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

if you have insurance, therapy could be free . . . i don't really know. Otherwise, it's pretty expensive, but it is VERY worth it.

what can you do on your own? (keeping in mind that i wasn't very good at doing it on my own, here's my advice) make sure you are eating regularly and often (3 meals, snacks and dessert) and not depriving yourself of foods you really enjoy (those usually end up being the binge foods). include all foods you like in portions that you determine BEFORE you start eating. don't eat out of the bag, put it on a plate. eat slowly and try to stop when you're full. eating off a plate, sitting down (as opposed to standing in the kitchen, driving, etc.) really helps too. if you get the urge to binge, set a timer for 20 minutes and tell yourself you have to wait till it goes off before you can start eating (this REALLY worked for me). you might still end up binging, but this helps break into the hypnotic "binge" state and can help you avoid it. often after 20 minutes, the craving is gone. try to identify when you binge and see if there are any patterns. also, the best way for me to not binge is to stop it before it starts. once i get going, i just GO, you know? so if you feel the funny "i want to eat more/just one cookie/i don't know if i'm full enough yet" feeling, DO SOMETHING ELSE. take a walk, read, shower, do a puzzle . . . anything to break into that mindset and gets you thinking about something else. (i tend to smoke A LOT of cigarettes . . . not that i'm recommending that!) one more thing, read "Overcoming Binge Eating" by Dr. Christopher G. Fairburn. It's SO informative and it really makes you realize that you aren't alone with this problem and you aren't freakish, etc. He also sets up a plan to overcome binging without therapy, etc. and i think it's supposed to be really effective, so you could definitely try that!

sorry this is such a novel, but i hope this stuff helps. it's a tough problem, but i know you can beat it! good luck!

Closed Thread