It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
After a "binge" day..

is it better to restrict your eating (so youre kinda making up the cals) or to try to eat normally, as if it didn't happen. My "binge" day wasn't horrible in terms of a binge, but I had eaten very little all day and then ended up goign to a friends and eating a bunch of christmas cookies and chocolate (therefore bringing my calorie total to probably upwards of 3000? maybe?). I feel as though I shoudl eat very very little today...btu am torn btwn doing that and jsut pretending it didn't happen and getting on with my life in terms of eating. I know for diets they say to learn from your mistakes and don't focus on a blip, but I don't know if this is applicable or not?

Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User
Re: After a "binge" day..

it's hard to say, but i know the inner turmoil you're going through right now (been there, done that far too many times.) it's like, you want to restrict because you feel like you WAY overdid it, but then you also want to just move on. plus, (at least for me), restricting ALWAYS seemed to make my chances of binging again about 100 times higher.

so, here's my advice. first of all, you need to know that your binge wasn't bad at all. 3000 total calories for the day? that's nothing, sweetie. i'm currently eating about that much EVERY day (meal plan), so don't feel like you're a bad person for eating that much just one day (easier said than done, i know). also (and this is pretty important), you most likely WAY over-estimated your calories taken in (since i'm assuming the cookies didn't have little calorie tags attached!), so you probably took in much less than 3000 total.

okay, that being said, how do you feel physically and mentally? when i used to binge i would go hog wild and eat about 4000 or more in one sitting and the next day i felt like CRAP, physically and mentally. gassy, achy, hung over, dehydrated . . . it was horrible. eating made it worse because my stomach still had SO much food in it. if you feel like that, a little restriction might be okay. (and i'm talking about like 1600 calories total for the day MINIMUM. starving yourself will NOT help. your blood sugar is probably already a little funky from not eating much during the day and then eating lots of sugary stuff (not bad in and of itself, bad because you did it without food before) yesterday. if you don't eat, you will screw up your blood sugar and metabolism even more and you'll feel lots worse all day long.

if you don't feel sick like that, then i would challenge you to eat normally today. you can do it!! eat "happy" foods like chicken soup or whole grain toast with jam or a big salad or whatever makes you feel like you are treating your body in the most fantastic way possible! thinking about it that way helps alleviate some of the guilt. that way, you're "making up for the binge," not by starving to negate the calories, but by giving your body all sorts of yummy nutrition and yes, energy from calories, so your body can function and keep you healthy.

good luck and sorry this post is so long, but i really felt i could relate. i've spent SO many day-after-a-binge days agonizing over what, how much, when to eat. it sucks, i agree. i hope this advice helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Thanks for your help Joni I know that the bigne wasn't what most would consider a binge, but I'd been just eating less during the day in case i went out or whatever, and then I just feel I overdid it lol. Physically, today (even yesterday) I feel fine and felt fine. I didnt even feel like overstuffed yesterday (but then again, I ate chocolate, which isnt the most filling but is def caloric!). So in terms of eating normally today, it's possible (ie/ i won't feel sick from eating because Im physically ill already). It's more mentally, I don't know what to do! I'm torn btwn eating normally and eating to make up for the overeating...So far I've eaten really really lightly..and I might be going out to dinner (but I won't overeat there). I know I shuodln't really restrict today but I feel like Im sick of all the back and forht ness and from now on I'm jsut going to try to be healthy and eat in moderation. Lately (last months) Ive been eating aroudn 1600 Cals eper day and maintaining...but at the same time i would eat very little on wknds and then make up most of my cals at night, like when I'm out at a party, thru drinks or snacks. Its not the healthiest but it worked to get a 'normal' lifestyle and still maintain.. I just have to find a way to go out and not worry abotu that, on top of not worry about weight. I think if I keep my diet moderated and don't plan on giving myself room for a box of chocolates, then I wont be as liekly to eat that box..

Sorry for the length and squished-together-ness of this post I just had to get some thoughts out Thanks again

Old 01-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

I used to struggle with this and my advice is NOT to restrict but to eat foods with a lower caloric content. You could eat 2 apples and 2 light yogurts and some string cheese and a bowl of cambell's soup and be around 600-700 calories. Not eating at all is only setting you up to binge again. Plus, it doesn't sound like you really binged, only like you splurged a little on holiday goodies..so don't beat yourself up. 3000 calories one day is NOT likely to lead to any weight gain anyways, or at best 1/2 a lb which is easily lost by eating healthy for the next day.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #5
(female)

yules HB User

This is all part of my cycle. For my after my binge night (usally consist of a "free meal" and then some) I make a point to pound the water!!! so important after the binge because your body is not used to all that salt. I eat normal but for me normal is not the "norm" I eat every three hours small meals and I try to consume about 10 glasses of water. By the next day or 2 I am back down to my regular weight. I feel like crap mentally and physically the day after but that is part of my ed that I am trying to work thru. It's the guilt and the self hate that I can't get past. Anyway I hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

bj's_mum HB User

argh i feel the same.. yesterday i didnt eat all day because i had to have a scan and wasnt allowed, that was fine but then for sum reason when i got home i just wanted toe eat, so i did and now its the next day and i feel so yuck that i dont think ill be able to eat today. i to am torn between wanting to carry on like yesterday never happend but.. cant.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

is 1600 cals enough for you? how much do you weigh?

Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

It seems to be enough for the most part..but that's mostly when I can eat that much..it's not all the time..on otherdays, like when I go out, I prolyl end up eating more jsut because I'm not watching myself as much when I go out..but I really don't even know lol. Last time I got weighed I was 118 lbs (the last 2 mos I got my period too! This month it hasn't come yet.. :S)

Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

congrats!! I was on birth control for 3 rounds, and i got it naturally the fourth time too...but it was real light though, but it was prob my body just getting used to it naturally...im 5'5 and prob 115-118 I am doing so well now, so much better than I was this summer. Keep it up, you are always such a great inspiration to me, and it kinda worried me there for a minute when I saw you posted on this board! But i remember you are in recovery as well and I wish you all the best
Michelle

Closed Thread