It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #1

nausnowangel HB User
Eating Disorder?

Hi! I am 23 and think that I could have an eating disorder but am not sure so I thought I would ask others to see what you think. About a year and a half ago I had my gallbladder removed (gallstones and inflammation), and after having the surgery had a very bad problem with diarreha - anything I ate went through me almost instantly. I didn't know what to do about it so I went to the doctor and they told me to try to cut back on fat in my diet to see if that helps. So, I did that slightly and it didn't do much, but over the course of a few months kept cutting back until I was eating under 20 a day. At this point the diarreha got better. Around this time I started student teaching (I'm a teacher now, 1st year) and at that point started to count calories - I taught with a bunch of women who were older and watching their weight, I think that's where I got the idea from. For most of student teaching I at 1300 calories a day and was down to 104 at my lowest point - I also always felt sick and would start to black out at times. During this time I was also planning my wedding (married now). Family and friends told me at the time that I had to be anorexic but I was sure I was not. I also lost my period during this time and have been EXTREMELY regular most of my life. Towards the end of student teaching and then after I got married, I started to eat more (1500 or thereabouts), but still only that low amount of fat. I got my period back and gained 5 pounds so people stopped bugging me about it. But then since I've started teaching, I had gained another 10 pounds which put me at 120 - the acceptable weight for my height. But I was very unhappy weighing that much - I was eating stuff right out of the bag or box, I think that's what got me there. A week or so ago I got the stomach flu and got down to 115 because I ate less (I was up to 2000 calories at one point, just snacking on tons of pretzels or fat free saltines) and that made me so happy, I could fit in most of my clothes again. Since then I've cut WAY back on snacking and stayed somewhere around 1500-1600 calories a day, but I am just constantly thinking about what I am eating and what it is worth. I don't exercise, work just wears me out too much (kindergarten). On a side note, I use to weigh at the most 160 and dropped to 125 just by having the surgery and changing my diet alone. Do you think I have an eating disorder because I constantly think about calories? It all started to make it so I would stop getting sick so that makes me wonder if it really is. I lost my period again when I started student teaching and developed two medium cysts in my ovaries (one in each), I've since gotten my period back and one of the cysts is gone but the other may or may not be. Sorry if this is confusing, thanks for your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: Eating Disorder?

Hi,
Yes, I would say you have an eating disorder. You don't have to be a severe anorexic or bulimic to have an eating disorder. You are preoccupied with your weight, with the amount of calories you eat, ect. And this preoccupations seems to really be affecting your life-so I would call that a disorder. 1,600 calories a day is not THAT low for a woman if you are of average height and weight but when you count every one of those calories it becomes an obsession. It would not hurt you to add some more calories and if you are losing your period that means you don't have enough body fat. How tall are you?

Have you talked to anyone about this problem??

Old 03-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
(female)

mandabear HB User
Re: Eating Disorder?

i think you have a problem. Natalie is right, you don't have to be throwing up everything or eating 200 calories to have an eating disorder. I've heard quite a few people who developed their eating disorders after being sick or having surgery, like you. Would you consider getting help?

Closed Thread