It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

mops41288 HB User
Exclamation I hate weekends...

Yes, Im probabily the only person in the world who hates weekends... They just seem so hard to get through and when they do I cant wait for monday. On weekends Im either really trying hard not to binge (which I havent done in a week) and it also makes it harder when Im restricting (like Ive been doing the past week) The weekend seems to go by so slow esp. when Im restricting, I actually count down the hours and mins until I allow myself to eat. At least during the week I have school and errands to keep me busy so I dont really have time to think about food. Then to add to the stress, weekends my family usually wants to go out to eat or order in. Then I start worrying about how many calories are in that food and what can I eat there. Sunday mornings I guess are the worst. My mom aways makes my dad and herself breakfast which is usually breakfast steak, eggs, hashbrowns or something that isnt a "safe food" It really bothers me when shes making the food since I wont allow myself to eat any of it. Even though the smell and the sight of the food makes me want to eat even more, I still wont give in. Sometimes I even break out in tears! Its crazy. But I know if I give in on the food I wont forgive myself and feel like crap the rest of the day. So usually on weekends I try to sleep more or find ways to keep busy to get my mind off food. Anyone else find weekends hard to get through?

Old 06-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

YellowBikini HB User
Re: I hate weekends...

I am EXACTLY the same way...1000% exactly. Weekends freak me out. During the week I have a routine: I wake up, eat my safe breakfast, go to school, eat lunch at around the same time everyday, come home and eat my safe dinner, etc...Weekends feel completely out of my control in the most terrifying way. First of all, I usually sleep later than I do during the week, so I wake up and don't know what to do: should I eat my usual breakfast? Maybe I should just wait an hour and then eat my lunch...I'mhungry now, but what if someone wants to go out for brunch in an hour??? And then when I DO eat, I get very antsy, counting the hours as they pass, hoping that someone won't try to force-feed me as they do. I end up drinking in the evenings which further messes up my sleep/eat schedule. I find myself looking forward to Monday morning when I can get "back to normal".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

Tyluk HB User

I hear ya! I vastly prefer the structure of the work week, and look forward to Monday mornings. Weekends bring more unpredictability, time, and scrutiny by my family. I'm a teacher, and I love to go to work. I suppose there's also the piece that it's easier to not eat at work... that's not necessarily a GOOD thing, but it is a more COMFORTABLE thing.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

I agree! I have a nine month old so my schedule during the week is so perfect cause I wake up, feed the baby, get ready for work, then I come home from work and take care of the baby so there is no time to think about food or worry about it. On the weekends I wake up really early and I'm usually starving but I figure if I eat at 6:00 am then I am going to ruin my entire day. So I too start to count the hours till I can eat. It's insane! I love the weekends and look forward to spending time with my family but the whole food issue is horrible.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

Jonistyle4 HB User

so we've all related to each other on how difficult weekends can be to get through, now what are we gonna do about it??? no offense, ladies, but this thread is downright depressing and not very recovery-motivated. since we're all TRYING to recover (remember the end-goal!), i think that each one of you (and others too!) should come back to this one and try to think of a healthy recovery thing for those weekends. so they're tough now, but how can we make weekends easier???

here's a couple that work for me:

1) i don't sleep in anymore. because when i do, i tend to run into the same problem as yellow bikini -- do i eat late breakfast or early lunch? it caused me WAY more anxiety than the extra sleep was worth, so i am now committed to always waking up early enough to have BOTH breakfast and lunch. if i'm tired, i take a little afternoon nap, you know?

2) planning, planning, planning. this is KEY. each one of you mentioned how much easier the work week is because of the inherent structure that work provides. weekends then become tough cuz you lose that structure, right? so make your own structure! it ain't that hard! plan out what and when you'll be doing saturday and sunday and plan your food to work with your meal plans and really, the stress TOTALLY goes away. you're busy and having fun and you're eating what and when you're supposed to be eating. it takes a teensy bit of thought in advance and i guarantee your weekends will be MUCH more enjoyable.

3) i don't starve myself or restrict. i can give you all the tips for making weekends more enjoyable and less stressful in the world and they won't make one bit of difference if you're insistent on a starvation diet. if you insist on not eating enough food, then yeah, you'll obsess over food all weekend, binge, starve, feel like sh**, have no energy, feel incredibly anxious and miserable, etc.

so basically, i'm saying that weekends can be tough at first, but they can become GREAT with a little adjustment and work and planning. but if you aren't eating enough, then no, they'll suck.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
(female)

YellowBikini HB User

First of all, Joni I appreciate you switching the course of this thread to become more recovery-oriented. I agree -- it was totally depressing! I agree with everything you said, and I actually try to incorporate structure into my weekends as well, eat my usual meals, etc. This in itself bothers me, however, because I don't feel that I should need to do this. Normal people enjoy weekends as a break from the work week...they sleep in, relax, and do whatever they want. Forcing myself to get up early and plan the entire thing makes me feel even more like there is something wrong with me.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Need2RunNow HB User

alright... i know its tough. i went through the smae thing. fun! but the way to get over it is to think to yourself "am i hungry at all?" and push your stomach out, and then realize "hey, im really not hungry" and if you have nothing else to do, go for a walk to kill time until your stomach grumbles. i have trouble doing this myself, but it works when i have the willpower.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
(female)

Jonistyle4 HB User

"alright... i know its tough. i went through the smae thing. fun! but the way to get over it is to think to yourself "am i hungry at all?" and push your stomach out, and then realize "hey, im really not hungry" and if you have nothing else to do, go for a walk to kill time until your stomach grumbles. i have trouble doing this myself, but it works when i have the willpower."

needtorun, you do realize you're saying this to recovering anorexics, don't you? please clarify what you meant, because it sounds like you're encouraging people to ignore their hunger and stick to their starvation diets on the weekends instead of listening to their bodies and nourishing themselves. i really hope that's not what you intended to say, and i for one, would like you to clarify what you meant. thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I'll tell you why I hate weekends: it's because my husband is home. It's nice to be able to see him more as he doesn't work over time in the summer. However, the 'food policing' really drives me nuts. Ugh! 'Did ya eat? When'd ya eat? What'd ya eat?' Even today...I had horrible cramps this morning due to my period (no doubt from going off the pill), and he goes, 'maybe you need to eat something, I get stomach cramps when I'm hungry.' Hello! It's not the same thing! Food was the absolute last thing I was thinking of at the time. Oh, well, he tries and he cares and loves me. Gotta give him that.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Need2RunNow HB User

thats not what i meant at all. i went through non-purging bulimia, but my friends got me out of it. they kinda yelled at me enough to get me out of it, but that only gave me encouragement. the way i helped myself recover was that i listened to my body and only ate when i was hungry. that way, i ended up eating only as much as i need.

Clarified By
Need2RunNow :P

P.S: this post isnt toward anorexics, it was toward people who end up eating too much on weekends... (kind of the topic title name).

if this WAS a post for anorexics, i would have said something like "YOU NEED TO EAT! Without food, your body goes into starvation mode and reserves fat. eat when your body needs food! food is what has kept humans alive for so long!"

Old 06-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
(female)

Jonistyle4 HB User

cool, man, thanks for the reply. i know this post was started more by people who tend to overeat, and i think listening to your body is GREAT advice. also, staying busy so your mind is on things OTHER than food, you know? but thanks for the clarification. i think some of us "restricters" were writing here too, and i just wanted to make sure that we all realize that feeding ourselves properly is as important as not over-feeding ourselves just to eat, you know? stay healthy everybody!

Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
(female)

mops41288 HB User

I have been trying to listen to my body more but its really harder then it sounds. I guess it just takes pratice. Ive been counting calories for so long it just comes naturally when I try to listen to my body. Im alwasy saying "that has way to many calories" or "I cant eat all that" its really tough. I tend to restrict most weekends which makes them tough or sometimes I binge which doesnt really make sense. Darn ED

Closed Thread