It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
3 Meals a day

I'm really struggling right now. Every time I try to eat three meals a day (which is extremely rare these days), I end up feeling fat. How can I get past this and eat normally (whatever that is)? My husband is very upset that I don't eat enough, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
(female)

honeybeez HB User
Re: 3 Meals a day

Hello kittywitty nice name btw...

Is there any reason why you feel fat? i bet your husband doesnt say you are fat Is he giving you lots of postitve comments and encouragement? if not tell him thats what you need to get through this..

Take things as slow as you can.. Maybe add a little more food each day.. Sometimes i find it easier to eat in front of the telly or while on on the phone or doing something... that way you are not concentrating on the food.

Is there any help you can get with your eating? Do you tend to eat in front of people?

take care x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

trinidadienne HB User

Hi, it may be of little use for me to talk about loving/valuing yourself and deserving food (I'm sure you've heard it all before). But from a weight/fat and just biological point of view, may be you could read up a bit about metabolism. It is the key to weight control. Anthony Ellis (I think I'm allowed to mention names?) talks a lot about metabolism though his big thing is muscle gain but you can find him through google and rummage through his stuff till you find what might make you feel better. You may find that eating less doesn't mean less fat, perhaps quite the contrary. I am so thin!! It drives my husband crazy but I eat more than him and am breast feeding my 3 month old. I'm active and use my muscles all day but I have a very high metabolism, little fat and am always hungry. I love to eat but I eat as most naturally as I can - ie - avoid the cartons and boxes but I do love the yummy stuff as well once in a while (I've just eaten a magnum). You'll get there, don't beat yourself up if it takes time, but don't put your body through too much abuse in the mean while. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
(male)

paulbpc HB User

Getting exercise is key to not feeling fat. It makes you feel like you're fueling your body as opposed to just stuffing it. Eating small amounts frequently is also a great idea. You will be able to control your weight and both of these solutions will keep your energy up and keep your metabolism fast. Increase your food intake slowly- this way you won't feel fat and you also won't notice the weight gain as easily. If you try to pile it on too fast you will get scared and restrict again. No one can expect you to eat "normally" right away.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

***bump***

Old 08-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

tallycat HB User

Hi Kittywitty, that is an adorable name. I am going through this myself right now. I have tons of positive motivation to eat right, but motivation doesn't lift the fork up to your mouth and make you swallow - it's hard to translate the motivation into action. I think paulpbc has great advice about exercise, that is very important to me. What I've done is just take tiny baby steps rather than one giant leap. I started educating myself on nutrition, even though I thought I knew it all about food - boy was I wrong. I could find the lowest fat, lowest calorie version of anything, but had no idea about proteins, carbohydrates, etc. There's some great calculators that can give you your daily requirements if you do a websearch. Now, don't get scared by it, just try for another 100 every few days and let yourself see that you do not shoot up in weight, that your body will feel better and your thinking gets so much clearer. I use a fitness/meal tracker site religiously to plan out small, manageable meals. That way I know ahead of time that it's 'ok' to eat the things in front of me. It is still a lot of measuring of food, but I think you need to start doing healthy measuring/calculating with food before you try to jump into eating 'normally.' Good luck and just try a little day!

Old 10-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

For the past two days, I've ate three meals a day, and I feel like such a COW because of it. So, as you can see, I'm not really any better than I was a few months ago. I'm so sick of this crap. I eat more, I feel huge. I restrict, and sadly, I feel better. But, of course, I know that's not healthy. That, and I get my husband riding me about not eating enough. I don't want to restrict because I know I need to eat more as I'm having lots of hair loss. But, every time I eat more, I feel so fat, so I go back to restricting. It's a vicious cycle and I feel it's a no-win situation with me.

Last edited by kittywitty; 10-28-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BTW, I started my period today, so maybe that's why I'm feeling huge. I don't know.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
(female)

case1 HB User

kittywitty, i am right where you are right now, up until 1 month ago i was restricting so much, then i added breakfast for a week then a small lunch for a week, do i feel huge YES!!! i exercise religiously 6 days a week , and that still does nothing for me mentally, it is the whole food and being in control thing, i did gain 2 lbs this week from what i don't know, but my hubby rides me constantly too, he tries to help, but has no idea the he** i go thru, i still haven't gotten my period, 9 days late, so maybe that's why i gained too, let me know if your period helped you feel less fat, good luck were all in this together hugs case1

Old 11-04-2006, 03:36 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty
I'm really struggling right now. Every time I try to eat three meals a day (which is extremely rare these days), I end up feeling fat. How can I get past this and eat normally (whatever that is)? My husband is very upset that I don't eat enough, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Please help.

When I was inpatient for anorexia, we were on a 3+3 meal plan. It is much easier to eat 3 snacks (high calorie though - like nuts, chocolate, digestive biccies) and then 3 slightly smaller 'meals'......

All in all you still get yout recommended calorie intake, just breaks in down so it is less scary...

Nut.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Weight training and cardio are key if you want to stay as best shape as possible-As someone stated a few posts ago. I knew a guy who overcame his anorexia this way it gave him a reason to eat, and he dieted similar to what i am gonna layout here.

When eating a meal you want protein/carbs or protein/fats.. but you shouldnt mix fats and carbs. From what i remember carbs and fats arent a good idea if you want to stay in the best shape possible.

Ex-Chicken/vegtables..Steak/yams.. 1/2 can of tuna/rice.. just a few examples off the top of my head.. 1-2 eggs/ 1/2 cup of oatmeal.. Portions may very with the person.You could even add a salad or something really light in with these to add a little variety.

and for a couple protein/fat examples.

fish/celery with natural peanut butter.... leanground beef/frozen fruit smoothy with flaxseed oil.

You need to find out what works with you as everyone is different. But you could do 2 protein/carb meals and 1 protein/fat.. Maybe some protein powder with a banana and some milk, if you crave a snack.

Protein is key because its made up of amino acids the essential building blocks for your body. Protein is quite complicated to digest so therefore its the hardest to convent to fat, it fills your stomach for a while and you dont crave snacks before your next meal.. Protein in meat/fish is slow releasing and takes 8 hours to release/absorb all the nutrients.

Anyways hopefully i was some help the food on this diet isnt always the greatest tasting(maybe im just a bad cook? lol) but its just about as healthy as you can get which might help you justify eating more. Along with cardio and weight training this sort of diet can go a long way.

Dont get me wrong,I know most of you arent getting enough calories almost any food would be beneficial. Basically what im trying to stress is that when you do eat try to include protein as its key, avoid meals of like crackers/ grapes or something like that.. although its very little calories the nutritional value is extremely low.

Edit: fixed all the u's, and ur's. My writing skills arent the best(not much practice) including grammer. Although i think im pretty intelligent. Added a summary

Last edited by missingyou; 11-15-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Closed Thread