It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

terrible_static HB User
has anyone gotten off laxatives?

Hello I am a terrible abuser of laxatives and I want to get off them now! Has anyone out there done it by themselves I can't go in to treatment right now due to financial reasons and I have tried it already and it didn't work. I just need to know there is hope. If you have done it please let me know what you did and how you did it. I am so ready to be done with this!

Last edited by terrible_static; 08-27-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #2

Geenah HB User
Re: has anyone gotten off laxatives?

Hi Static,

I feel your pain Sister! I was able to get off those little poison pills and you can too! It is a HARD thing. Your body goes through some uncomfortable side effects, but hang in there and you CAN BEAT THEM!

I started by weaning off them. Instead of 30 a day, I took 25, then 20 and so on. It takes a while, but I would'nt recommend going cold turkey. Try drinking Metamucil or another similar product, (that's what they gave me in the hospital) and it helps. They are sooooo bad for you! And remember it is not "real weight" you are loosing when you take them, and it is not "real weight" you are gaining when you stop them. IT IS ONLY WATER! and when your body gets back on track it will all even out.

I reallly hope the best for you. YOU CAN DO IT!

G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

onetruefriend HB User

I Done It Myself 4 Weeks Ago And The Worst Symptom For Me Is Water Retention Which Apparently Is Common But Honestly 4 Weeks On My Bowels Are Not Back To Normal Totally Yet But It Is Definatley Better Than The Washed Out Tired Feeling And Pains I Used To Get In My Stomach Try And Do It I Know You Can !!!!!!!!!!11

Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

terrible_static HB User

Thanks for the motivation and advice. Did you just stop taking laxatives? Are you taking anything else to help with water retention. How many did you take I'm up a lot! Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
(female)

sillygirl HB User

I have. I wasn't a daily user, but at one point I was using them several times a week. That lasted for almost a year. I didn't take the pills- I took the liquid stuff by Phillips. In raspberry. Even thinking about the taste of that stuff right now makes me want to gag.

So aside from no longer being able to eat anything raspberry flavored, I also did some good ol' damage to my stomach. We here horror stories about how people who take and abuse laxatives end up in the hospital with horrible things happening to them. And while that didn't happen to me (thank god), I now have a super sensitive stomach. If I eat just one "wrong" thing (like a cookie? shortening and sugar?) I immediately bloat up and get horribly gassy. Sometimes I even get diarrhea, and in a very bad way.

I never EVER had that problem prior to my laxative abuse. It's an embarassing problem to have. I wish I had never abused laxatives, because my digestive system is likely to be messed up for the rest of my life. I am also constantly thirsty- there are points where I feel soooo horribly dehydrated all the time. It's just like the dehydration I'd feel when I'd take the laxative. The doctor has done numerous tests and everything checks out fine, of course. They never tell you about the "little" things you can do to damage yourself.

I just quit cold turkey. It's been almost two years since I've touched 'em. I wish you the best of luck- stop now before you do any more damage!

Old 09-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

paperdollcomple HB User

Ugh, I should post the same question. I was a daily laxative user for almost 3 years...tons of laxatives, usually 20 at a time. Now i take 9 once a week...just so I can "go". Am I still doing harm to my body even though I'm only doing it once a week? Also I feel like when I know I have to use laxatives that I give myself and excuse to binge because I think, "hey im gonna take them anyway, might as well have tons of food in my system to get rid of!" Its a very distructive cycle. I guess my question is, will by body eventually regulate itself? I'd give anything to feel like I didn't need to use them at some point to get some relief. Any insight would be appreciated!

Old 09-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

terrible_static HB User

It is so rare that I ever hear of anyone actually getting off laxatives. If you have please please share your storey of how you did it. I'm feeling hopeless right now.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #8

Geenah HB User

Hi Static,

Like I said, I was taking sooo many a day, for 2+ years. I was able to wean off them and I physically can NOT take them anymore, My body rejects them. You can get off them. I know a few gals who have done the same thing as I have, (weaned off), in my ED group, and they have not gone back. It is not safe to stop cold turkey. You will experience more bloating than if you just cut down slowly. It takes a while and a lot of hard work, but it can be done. You have to be patient. You can take things to "help you go" that do not harm your body like laxatives do.

Hang in there.
Take care.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
(female)

terrible_static HB User

Thanks so much for the hope that it is possible...what types of things can you take to help you go? That is something my doctor hasn't helped me with she has just told me to wean off but hasn't given any alternatives...

Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
(female)

passingmeby HB User

Hello Static,

I'm also a laxative abuser, I been taking eight ducolax tabs a day for more than 3 years, just recently I started to wean them off because of the horror stories I hear about laxatives, the cost of the laxatives and its embarrasing the way that my stomach gurgles through out the day. I'm doing it very slow, I started to take seven a day instead of eight, I've done this for a month and this week I started taking six a day, so far its been okay, I just go to bathroom sometimes twice a day, I'm also taking a diuretic (40mg of lasix) to help me with the water retention, I know the worst is yet to come but maybe since I'm doing it slowly it won't be so bad.

My advice is not to do it cold turkey, I did that once and not only was the bloating unbearable but I also developed a huge hemorroid which I had to have surgically removed.

Good Luck, keep me posted on your progress and if you learn of any good tips along the way.

Closed Thread