It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

Mena3 HB User
Is this Bulimia or Binge Eating Disorder?

Well I've finally been able to admit to someone the other day that I have a food issue and I think an eating disorder......I just don't know which one. My whole life I've been really active and athletic, but I've always struggled with binge eating. I grew up exercising everday for hours on end to counteract my bad eating habits. I always feel depressed and guilty after I binge, but I can't stop myself. I don't go to such extreme exercisng as much now, but I still do put my body through pretty intense exercise. In the past year, I've used diet pills which made me feel better about my binge eating, but a couple of months ago I stopped using them. I've never been able to vomit my food (I always wish I could). I feel as though I cannot control anything in my life, and all I think about is losing weight and food. This problem has consumed my whole life and my self esteem and self image. I know I don't appear overweight to the average person, but when I look in the mirrow I feel huge and disgusting. Is this Bulimia or Binge Eating Disorder? I want to get help to be able to enjoy life. Sorry this was such a long post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

paperdoll08 HB User
Re: Is this Bulimia or Binge Eating Disorder?

Mena -
Congrats on being able to admit you have a problem, that is step one for sure! I know your question was is it either binge eating or bullemia. But its both. Its exercise bullemia, and the fact that you consome large amounts of food in one sitting, is considered a binge. Possibly even compulsive. Its not uncommon for binge eaters to have some sort of bullemia, whether its laxative abuse, throwing up, or exercising to excess. Most binge eaters binge because they arent getting a need met. Try to track how you feel when you binge, before and after. Write it down, and it will help you pinpoint why you are binging. Is it because youre lonely? Scared? Bored? Compelled? It will really help. I'd start there...and beyond that I think some professional counseling is the only way you can make better choices in your eating and exercising. You have to decide to challenge the rules before you can make progress. It will be uncomfortable, and scary...you'll be taking away your support system, your coping mechanism. But you will learn so much. Good luck.

Last edited by paperdoll08; 09-15-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
(female)

akalei HB User
Re: Is this Bulimia or Binge Eating Disorder?

Yeah you don't just have to have one specific one. Sometimes it can be a mixture of all of them.

Closed Thread