It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2001, 04:53 PM   #1

Jes HB User
Question Exploding Stomach?

Okay, this might be a REALLY stupid question, but I guess I'm just stupid then 'cause I don't know, so I'm gonna ask it anyway.

Alright...can you die or anything from eating too much? Like can your stomach get so full and stretched out from eating so much food at one time that it just explodes or ruptures or something?

'Cause I'm anorexic, but when I get really stressed I go through periods of bulimia and today I at more than I've ever eaten in my whole life at one time. My stomach hurt so bad that I could hardly move and I was crying. I purged it out as soon as I was done, but it still worries me.

Thanks for any advice.
Jessica

Old 03-10-2001, 11:28 PM   #2

angel021599 HB User
Jess,
I don't think anything like that is possible. My guess is since your body is actually starving, it doesn't know quite how to respond to large quantities of food. I know it feels terrible like its going to burst, I've had similar feelings. How long do these b/p cycles last? Instead of purging, can you distract yourself with something else? A warm bath? a nice book? relaxing music? I hope that you are doing alright...
Love,
Mindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2001, 07:32 AM   #3
Inactive

Annateff HB User
Unhappy

Jessica Hi,

I don't want to disagree with Mindy because I think in your case she was right and the pain was because you are unused to food and not because your stomach was going to burst BUT yes, stomach can burst. This is why in hospital they introduce food slowly to anorexic patients. You see when you have starved yourself for a very long time your stomach has really shrunk and if you suddenly try to consume vast amounts of food, it is possible to burst your stomach.

Vomiting though is not the solution, you cannot risk eating huge quantities of food and then vomit because that is AS dangerous. You see here you are risking tearing your stomach, or your throat because of the pressure you are putting these under.

What you really need to try to do is to start eating small meals, very frequently. Little and often. You HAVE to start eating otherwise you will be likely to binge and this could cause very serious problems.

I KNOW this is a very heavy answer to your question and I don't want to frighten you but these illnesses are killers and it is a very scary situation that you are in.

Lots of Love

Anna

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 06-26-2001).]

Old 03-11-2001, 10:07 AM   #4

angel021599 HB User
Wow Anna...that's scary....in all the books I've read I've never know that this could actually happen...That is very frightening!
Love,
Mindy

Closed Thread