It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2001, 05:34 AM   #1

codey HB User
Question how long does it take

for damage to be done from being anorexic? How does the doctor know if it's time to be hospitalized? Can the doctor tell if you are anorexic if you keep telling him/her "Yes i eat good?" How long does it take for dehydration to take it's toll when you use "water pills" (diretics?). thanks you guys. i don't post here alot but i lurk alot.

Old 03-11-2001, 07:43 AM   #2
Inactive

Annateff HB User
Codey Hi,

I am only thinking here but I suspect that you are hoping to get the answer that it takes ages before damage is done and that it will be a long time before doctors know anything. Doesn't work like that I am afraid, damage can be done very quickly especially if you weight drops rapidly or if you purge of take laxatives or diuretics. Anorexia is a life threatening illness - 30% of all sufferers die from it. If you are suffering with this illness you really DO need to be honest with your doctor and ask him for help. Don't lie and pretend that you are fine, the only person you are ultimately hurting here is you. if you can be honest and up front, your doc will be able to help you sooner rather than later. It will become very obvious to people that you are anorexic sooner than you think and the earlier you get treatment the easier it is to get out of the anorexic cycle. I lived with chronic anorexia for 14 years - I have been in recovery for 2 years now. I went undiagnosed for a long time and this meant the illness really got a good grip on me. Don't make the mistake I made, I missed out on all my teenage years and most of my 20's. Get help now.

Take care of yourself

Lots of Love

Anna

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 06-26-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2001, 10:12 AM   #3

angel021599 HB User
Codey,
Listen to Anna, she has helped me so much...without her advice I'd still be on proanorexic websites instead of this one. I know its difficult...every day for me right now seems to be harder than the day before. But, I have to keep fighting and so do you.
Love,
Mindy

Old 03-12-2001, 06:02 AM   #4

Tricky HB User
Hi codey,
Anna is correct, please heed her advice! The dangerous thing about eating disorders is that very often, people don't realize how extensive the damage to the body is until it is too late. Everyone's body is different, so please don't think that just because someone lived as an anorexic for 10 yrs means you can.

Are you currently looking to get help for your anorexia?

Old 03-12-2001, 07:15 PM   #5

janetc HB User
I agree with all the others. You have got to get help now before it is too late. If your electrolyts get out of balance, your body will shut down and you could go into cardiac arrest. You need to be under a physician's care so that your heart rate, blood pressure, and your electrolyts can be monitored. My daughter's heart rate was at 50 back in December and her physician was very concerned for her life. If she had not started eating and gaining some weight, they would have put her in the hospital several times. Please be honest with yourself and get help. This is a disease that is very hard to cope with on your own. You have to have professional help and the help of the Lord to overcome the disorder. I will pray for you that God will give you the strength to seek help from him and your doctor.

We are here for you if you every need someone to talk to. We are your friends.

May God keep you under his wings and protect you.

Janet

Closed Thread