It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2001, 11:10 AM   #1
Inactive

Draven7 HB User
Post Eating disorders and Seizures

I've posted here I think just once, but I was just curious if anyone had the same kind of situation as me. I've had an eating disorder for about six years, and when it started I started having seizures and severe depression. I've been medicated for my seizures and it took awhile to find one what worked. Now that I'm working on my eating disorder I'm going off my epilepsy medication to see if I won't have another seizure. My question is, should I wait longer? How do I know if I've gone far enough in my recovery? I mean I wasn't eating barely anything at all before, but now I drink protein drinks, and eat a meal here and there so I'm getting a good calorie intake. But is that enough? Should I risk it?

Draven

Old 08-17-2001, 04:37 PM   #2
(female)

megster HB User
Wink

hey there,

i can't really offer you any sound advice but i'll tell you about my scenario.

i have had epilepsy since i was six and i'm presently 18. just last year i started to struggle with bulimia. because of it, i was not keeping my medication down and my seizures became pretty bad.

the worst part is: when i have a seizure i get sick to my stomach and throw up so for awhile there i was throwing up for seperate reasons which is not a good thing.

right now i'm doing very well recovery wise. so i am confortable going off my medication to see how my body reacts to my epilepsy

my opinion is this: if you are eating what you consider your normal food intake then go off the meds. if you are still restricting don't. you want to know how your body reacts while it's functioning normally, not while you're restricting.

that's my two cents. i would talk to my doctor alot more about it though.

now that i'm talking to you can i ask you a quick question? my doctor wants me to try a new epilepsy medication with the main side effect being appetite suppresion......aka..anorexia. with my history of an eating disorder should i go on it or avoid it?

thanks and i hope my ramble helped you somewhat!
later!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2001, 12:11 PM   #3
Inactive

Draven7 HB User
I don't think you should mainly because then it would be easier to sink deeper into an ED. What is the medication he wants to put you on?

Old 08-18-2001, 04:31 PM   #4
(female)

megster HB User
Arrow

my doc is putting me onn Topomax.....which is kind of upsetting me cause i'm doing very well on Dilatin.

but i've tried almost every other med out there.

what meds are you on? if you're on frisium or something like that i would go off them since they really don't do all that much for epilepsy but if you're on lamictal or some other anti-convulsants that's another story. this stuff is so confusing isn't it!

later!
megster

Old 08-18-2001, 08:59 PM   #5
Inactive

Draven7 HB User
If your doing well on your current medication then why does he want to switch you to a new one? I'm on Lamictal now. Before that I was on tegretol, which wasn't working real well. But lamictal is new on the market so it's kind of scary cause they aren't quite certain of the long term side effects. Plus one of the side effects was weight gain which I found odd because I've lost weight, about 25 pounds since I've started taking it cause I have no appetite. Which is why I don't think you should change meds. It's complicated stuff this medication, makes me feel like a lab project!

Closed Thread