It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2002, 06:31 PM   #1

fishfriend HB User
Post I think I am a compulsive overeater

I am going through some confusing times with a guy friend of mine. He lives far away, and I find my self often lonely and angry. When I feel like this, I tend to eat until I feel sick, then eat some more. Then I diet. After visiting many websites on eating disorders, I believe I am a compulsive overeater. I have many of the symptoms. I told my mom this, but because i am not overweight, she doesn't think I am one. She says that this urge to eat comes with being a teenager. No one else know I feel this way, and I feel like I have no one to turn to. Am I a compulsive overeater? And if so, who should I talk to?

Old 03-02-2002, 10:39 AM   #2
(female)

Stigma HB User
Hi, Fishfriend.

It sounds like you are feeling quite alarmed about the discovery of your problem. I don't want to offer you empty promises or reassurances, trying to minimize your pain, because an eating disorder is a devastating illness. All I can tell you on the positive side is that there are people willing to help you deal with the problem. If you feel that you have an issue with food, maybe it's a recognition that your instincts want to trust and urge you to seek help before it becomes worse. Having a food obsession of any kind, *regardless* of your weight, is a very miserable way to live, especially in the long run.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone. Your mom may find it difficult to believe/accept, but for now, if you could share your concerns w/ your family doctor or another professional, you'll hopefully be pointed in the right direction. Good luck and hang in there!

Stigma

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2002, 03:34 PM   #3

CloudyDaze HB User
Hello FishFriend (I like your name. ) You can most definately have an eating disorder and not have a weight problem. Many compulsive eaters (CO) and bulimics binge and then diet. If you think there's something wrong most likely there is. Maybe if you talk with your mom more seriously and tell her why you think you have a problem and the way that it makes you feel emotionally she'll take you more seriously. Therapy REALLY helps over time. If you can't go to a professional therapist who deals with EDs you can talk to the school counselor or someone else. I would definately suggest that you try to find out more about CO. You can find a checklist online and see if you have most of the symptoms. Most of it is emotional and a lot of people with EDs also have depression to some degree. The seperation of you and your friend could really be affecting you and it's really good that you recognize that. Knowing that there's problem and evaluating what might be the causes is a great first step. Now you just have to deal with the problem! You can live better without food taking over so much of your life/thoughts. We're here for you at this board, too!

Closed Thread