It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2003, 11:53 PM   #1

mousie HB User
Post is there an overeating disorder?

... i've always been curious about that. i just can't stop eating. i get really anxious and fidgety if i'm not eating, so i've always got food. i'm hypoglycemic, but i was doing this long before i found out about that. another thing is that i'm underweight - 5'3 and like 105 lbs. is this just my metabolism, or could there be an overeating disorder?

------------------
~(_)8:>

Old 02-28-2003, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User
Hi mousie!

And welcome. First of all, when I first started reading your post I thought it was probably like a binge eating type situation, but you said that you're underweight. I am not entirely sure, but this sounds very unnormal to me...like something more immediatley serious than an eating disorder. ED's are generally characterized by "emotional" aspects, an if you're alway hungry and NOT gaining weight...honestly, hon, that sends up a trigger in my head. Have you seen a dr. about this problem? If not, I suggest you go, there are lots of reasons why you could be a) hungry and b) not gaining weight from the food you do eat. I don't know exactly what they could be (I've always been bad with technical or medical definitions) but ya know...something like that. Also---hyperglycemia is like low blood sugar correct? So, if you eat something that should be good enough, and you shouldn't have to keep eating, right? I dunno, something sounds not right to me...checking it out with a doc would be my suggestion, but then again, i'm very clueless when it comes to certain medical thigns!

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing, ok??

NEVER GIVE UP
~sarah~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2003, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
Yes, there is an eating disorder called Compulsive Overeating and is simliar to Bulimia in that you often binge. But different from Bulimia in that you do not purge.

I don't think that you have this eating disorder.

It could be your metabolism. Or it could be hyperthyroid disorder. I recommend asking your doctor about this condition.

Old 02-28-2003, 02:03 PM   #4

sleepystar HB User
hiya, i agree with the others, there is an over eating disorder but from what you have said it sounds more like your body is craving food, and as the other suggested a trip the doctor is a good idea, it could be anything and they will probably want to do some tests like testing thyroid funtion, diebties, ceoliac and other things.

Old 02-28-2003, 02:08 PM   #5

sleepystar HB User
hiya, i agree with the others, there is an over eating disorder but from what you have said it sounds more like your body is craving food, and as the other suggested a trip the doctor is a good idea, it could be anything and they will probably want to do some tests like testing thyroid funtion, diebties, ceoliac and other things.

Old 02-28-2003, 09:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Hi there, Mousie. Welcome to the boards!

I agree that you should get a medical professional's oppinion.

One question - when you say that you are always eating, does that mean because you're always hungry, or is it more because you get anxious when you're not eating.

If you are NOT hungry and you are still eating, there IS still a posibility that you have an overeating disorder. The fact that you are underweight could STILL be because you have a hyperthyroid disorder or an overactive metabolism, like an above poster has already said. I'm not saying you DO have an OE disorder... I won't say whether I think you do or I think you don't... after all, what do I know? You need to see a doctor about it to get an explaination.

Why do you get anxious about not eating? Are you worried about the fact that you are underweight? Is eating a way to stop those feelings maybe?

How about the amount of exercise you're getting in one day. Would you consider it moderate, little, or a lot? If you're over-exercising that could explain a few things! And what about the foods that you're eating? If they're mostly things like fruits, vegetables... foods that are easily digested, you may want to alter that.

Sorry about all the questions! I hope you get this sorted soon!

Ashlee

Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #7

winterhorses HB User
It could be an overactive thyroid or a bunch of other things, including a high metabolism. I'd definitely recommend getting professional medical advice! Of course, you realize that I'd *love* to have that type of problem!

Closed Thread