It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003, 11:13 AM   #1
peejee

Unhappy How do I get my appetite back?

Hi everyone. Male, 21, uk here.

I am currently going through a chronic digestive dissorder (delayed stomach emptying) which means I am very uncomfortable and extremely bloated after eating. Due to this I feel I have developed some kind of eating dissorder. I have completely lost my appetite and even when my stomach is rumbling and my body obviously wants food or when the bloating isnt there, the thought of food makes me feel sickly and irritated. I have no desire for any kind of food whatsoever. I'm sure this is some form of Anorexia Nervosa. It is almost a fear of food and eating due to the symptoms of the digestive dissorder I am experiencing and I feel that even when the dissorder is cured I will have problems with my appetite.

My question is, is there anything I can do to encourage my appetite. Would hypnosis or acupuncture work? Please help, i have lost 30lbs in 9 months because of this problem!

p.s My heart goes out to everyone on this board after experiencing this problem. Keep your head up!

Old 07-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Hello Peejee,

I wonder if what you are going through is indeed anorexia nervosa... see with anorexia nervosa, a big part is the fear of gaining weight, wanting to be reeeeally skinny.
In the true sense of the term, it would apply to you ("loss of appetite for nervous/psychological reasons". The thing is, what is commonly called anorexia nervosa is not really described very well by the term at all(weird, huh?). More often than not, there is a preoccupation with food and eating... and with weight.

Of course I can't say for sure what your situation is, after all all I did was read a short post from you on an nline board. Just wanted to give some input, to help you figure out what's wrong...

Kathrin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
peejee

Hi Kathrin,

thanx for responding and I'd like to give a little more information on my situation:

I have always been very skinny and hated it. Through puberty I seemed to grow upwards (6ft 3in) but never put on any muscle and I looked kinda "awkward". In high school, I would get changed in the cubicles in the bathrooms when we did Phys Ed because I didnt want anyone to see my body. I never went on any school trips because it would mean people seeing me getting changed.

I'm 21 now and 2yrs ago I took up bodybuilding, educating myself on both the weightlifting and nutritional side. I learnt the right amount of calories, protein, carbs and fat my body needed to gain muscle and BANG! In about 18 months i went from 155lbs to 190lbs. I finally had a great body and was finally a confident person!

10 months ago I moved away to university and was unable to keep up the training regime and the 5 meals a day my training required. I lost 20 lbs in about 9 months and went pretty much back to the person I was, physically and mentally, before I began working out. I became very depressed and stressful. On top of all this, acne, which hadn't plagued me for years, broke out all over my face and I had to deal with that! What with the weight loss, acne and the stress and worry they created I became seriously depressed. I had to be taken out of University and came home to seek help.

During all this I began to dramatically lose my appetite but at the same time I began getting terrible phsyical reactions to the food I managed to eat. Bloating after eating, excessive burping and a chronic "indigestion" feeling in my stomach. My Gastro Doctor thinks I could have a stomach dissorder called Gastroparesis where the stomach takes much longer to empty than a normal persons. I am having a test this Wednesday to see if this is the case. But I am still not sure whether this could be a physical or mental problem!

I began to lose my appetite and desire for food when I got badly depressed but, obviously, the stomach problems I had made things worse. At this moment in time I have a real problem with food and I don't know whether it is because I am so stressed (although much less than I was 9 months ago) about the weight loss and stomach problems or because I actually have a physical reaction to food in my stomach what with the supposed Gastroparesis. Is this an eating dissorder? I think it partially is. I simply do not have the "mmmmmm that looks nice" feeling I had for food 9 months ago, even when my stomach feels fine. Should I seek help from an eating dissorder clinic? I am becoming a recluse and rarely want to leave the house because I look so painfully thin. I havnt seen my friends in months and am thinking about droping out of university. Please help, what should I do?

Thanx to everyone who replies, you are a real help.

[This message has been edited by peejee (edited 07-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by peejee (edited 07-27-2003).]

Old 07-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
The eating disorders that are used as official diagnoses are anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder, and then I think there is something called "eating disorder not otherwise specified".
Again, you certainly describe something like an eating disorder in the widest sense (your eating and appetite are disordered). It doesn't sound like an eating disorder in the usual sense though. With eating disorders, usually the person WANTS TO be extremely thin and is afraid of gaining weight. With anorexia, for example, the person will lose a significant amount of weight more or less on purpose, because he or she thinks he or she is too fat (even when really already emaciated).

Your case sounds more like weight loss secondary to depression and maybe also a medical problem, and for you the weight loss is a PROBLEM, and you DON'T want to stay so thin.

I do think you should talk to somebody about this though. it sounds like you are in contact with a doctor about this?

you know, why not go to an eating disorders place... I mean, as i said, eating disorders come in different variations and maybe even though yours doesn't appear to be an eating disorder in the common sense, you can find help there!

best wishes,

kathrin

Closed Thread