It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 07:25 PM   #1

Keilani HB User
Post Purging can cause Brain Damage

My mom suffered through an eating disorder that went from anorexia to bulimia and back again for over 35 years. One thing I learned from her stories is that not only can you get a heart attack from binging, but you can also get brain damage (and live). You don't want that!

Old 10-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #2

eurakitty HB User
I dont suffer from bulemia but do suffer from A.N. and I can tell you without doubt that many of us are aware of the health (longterm, and short term) effects that our E.Ds put us at.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #3

Keilani HB User
Thumbs up

Well if there's even one person who reads it and didn't know, they know now. You took my post as being patronizing when really it is aimed to help anyone and everyone. I have five sisters, a couple of which also have eating disorders, and I mentioned my moms history with it, not to mention a bunch of friends who are suffering too, and not every single one of them is aware of what ED can do...especially the younger girls.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:50 AM   #4

navy HB User
You are right. Not all are aware of the health problems. Even when you are you don't know them all. I had really bad bulimia that is now about 85% under control for years. The thing is when you are under it's influence you know that it has health ramifications but let me tell you I had NO idea it would be so devastating for me. I have more problems than anyone I know my age due to this disease. I thought I could control the results with taking potassium before bed to keep it in my system etc... It may have saved my life but what I life I didn't have when I had this.

Here are my health problems that have literally disabled me at age 40.
mitral valve prolapse
chronic hives daily and disabling with edema
myofascial pain syndrome
fibromyalgia
panic attacks
depression
full mouth reconstruction to the tune of 20-30 thousand dollars.
I take over 20 pills a day to keep the symptoms bearable
brittle hair and nails
thin skin

None of which got much better just because I did and actually showed up after I recovered. I know you all think you know the ramifications but let me tell you I thought I did too and they are way worse than I believed.

That being said, it still leaves you with a sense of how to get a grip so this doesn't happen and all the knowledge in the world about this will not make you stop. The reason being is that you have to feel you deserve to stop. Until then all these health problems will just be a passing thought. The thing is that no one wants this but it just seems to posess you. I understand how both of you feel about this but that doesn't matter because each ed is personal and no one can scare you into stopping because it just isn't enough.

Maybe someone just starting this behavior will take all this in and get some help early so all these things don't happen to them. Be sure it is someone you trust because I got worse with help due to the lack of knowledge on their part and trust on mine. Oh, did I mention I have no children as a result of all this too.

Please get professional help because this may not kill you but you won't have a life.

Closed Thread