It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

SamanthaYork HB User
compulsive eating

I would really like to talk to someone who has/had compulsive eating disorder

I am going crazy.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
(female)

emina HB User
Re: compulsive eating

Hey there ^.^
I think we all need someone to talk to...especially with bingeing, over-eating or compulsive eating. All different names for the same, horrible experience.
I've been dealing with BED for ten months and was teetering on the verge of depression before i got a therapist. Do you have one? If not, then you should get one soon. Compulsive over-eating is a horrible thing to live with and, I found, impossible to deal with without professional help.
Please get help and I wish you the best of luck ^.^
...drives you absolutely insane doesnt it? I hate BED

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SamanthaYork HB User

Ive been to one many times but they also say that i dont have a problem. they say im very in control woman, and im mature enough to deal with this. i am ok most of the tine, getting ok now, but i still have at least one weekly blow out, which ruins my chances of loosing weight [removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-07-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: edited triggering words

Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
(female)

emina HB User

Hey again. ^.^
May I ask you a question?
When you are not bingeing, are you on some sort of lowered-calorie diet? Often times, when someone is dealing with BED or compulsive eating, they try to 'make up' for their 'screw up' by restricting or dieting the rest of the week, and we tend to lower our calories a bit too much. That leads to hunger and cravings, and they get so bad that you 'screw up' again and that leads to another binge. Then the whole cycle starts all over again. It took me ten long months to realize this.
Also, Im almost positive that one binge a week will not mess up your weight loss too much. 3,500 calories equal a pound, and you would have to eat about 5,500 calories in a day (if your BMR is 2,000) to gain a pound. (But if your binges are anything like mine, I know I can eat WAY more than that....)

Im so sorry about the therapists. They're supposed to understand. And if you're coming to a health board asking for help, then you ARE dealing with something you cant take care of on your own.
Just make sure you're eating enough during the day to AVOID being hungry and youll be fine. Maybe if you tried eating 6 small meals during the day, that would fend off those nasty cravings a bit better.
Also, diet soda helps a LOT! Soda isnt good for you, but if I had to choose between drinking soda or stoping bingeing, I'd choose the latter. ^.^

...Best of luck!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
(male)

redst3 HB User

I'd like to know more about defining this. I do this kind of thing from time to time. Is it common? What exactly defines it? Mindless eating, or does it have to be a certain amount??? How do others deal with it???

Old 02-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
(male)

sarand1pity HB User
Smile Re: compulsive eating

Hi all,

I'm 18 and I've struggled with compulsive eating for about a year. The end result was an extremely unhealthy amount of weight gained VERY quickly. I had to buy a whole new wardrobe to compensate for my weight gain, which occured in about a month. This was the first in which I experienced compulsive eating/emotional eating. Since then, it's been a year, and I've recovered alot. Here's what I've learned, and I hope this can help you, too.

1. Compulsive eating is very deep-rooted. Like many problems, it can't be solved overnight and the recovery process is very long and painful... sorry.

2. Study the patterns of your compulsive eating. Does it typically occur after a long day at school/work? Do you tend to do it at night? When there is alot of food in the fridge? Look at the patterns and find ways to stop it. If you eat at night, eat dinner, a small dessert, and then floss and brush your teeth, so you won't eat.

3. Put only healthy foods in your house and small amounts of unhealthy foods (chocolate, ice cream, carbs, whatever you're eating.) Don't take ALL of it out, because you will find reasons to compulsively eat outside. The key is not to deprive yourself. If you eat at night, eat dinner, a small dessert, and then floss and brush your teeth, so you won't eat.

4. This one is hard but it works. Keep a journal. Everytime you feel the need to eat, stop and MAKE yourself write. Write what you want to eat, why you want to eat, why you think you want to eat, whatever. Analyze the situation. Don't blindly go to the kitchen and start eating. Make yourself stop and think about it. Give yourself a minimum limit of a page of writing, or 15 minutes. After analyzing it you'll have persuaded yourself not to: because you don't need to, because it will just reinforce bad habits of compulsive eating, because you will gain weight, it will make you unhappy, whatever. FORCE yourself to think of the consequences.

5. When you compulsively eat, it means you're not paying attention to your body (eating when you're hungry, stopping when you're full, etc.) Here is a very hard habit to instill but one that will ensure that you will eat healthy for life: EAT SLOWLY, so you know when you're full. When you're full, STOP EATING. If this means using a smaller plate with smaller portions to make you stop and think before getting seconds, so be it.

6. If you CANNOT stop yourself from eating-- you HAVE to eat something, eat something that is LOW in calorie density. For example, eat fruits and vegetables. Baby carrots. Popcorn. Drink tons of water. Eat soup, etc.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of compulsive eating you are experiencing, but I have been through almost every kind of eating disorder, including compulsive eating. PLEASE, please, feel free to ask me more questions. I know how it feels and am willing to help!

Otherwise, I hope this helps someone. Once again, feel free to ask me any more questions you may have.

Last edited by sarand1pity; 02-10-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
(male)

redst3 HB User

Perhaps you wont be able to keep a journal if you are married, etc...I assume you were single, and congrats on confronting your problem.

Closed Thread