It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

Stigma HB User
I just binged on Tums!!! :((((((

I cannot believe myself! I bought a bottle of the new Tums Smoothies (cocoa & creme chewables) for heartburn. They tasted so good that I couldn't stop myself and before I knew it, I finished the whole bottle! I mean, I just ate the whole freaking bottle of Tums in a matter of 10 minutes! I feel so gross! I am stunned! And worst of all, I realize that this is a serious overdose of calcium. OMG! What should I do?!?!?!?!?

I seriously have nowhere else to turn. I'm so ashamed. I think I'd be less ashamed if I ate a box of chocolates.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: I just binged on Tums!!! :((((((

Please do call the poison control hotline and see what they advise. You can probably get the number by dialing the operator or 411. I know large doses of calcium are not good for you, but I'm not sure how large is considered dangerous. Please check with the hotline.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
(female)

Stigma HB User

Hi,

I couldn't call the centre because I was too embarrassed. How stupid would they think I was? Anyway, I didn't have any major problems except for a lot of gas and bloating.

But I generally feel like I'm really losing it. I've had an ED for over a decade now (I'm 26) and I'm afraid I've hit rock bottom. No one knows about the ED. I feel so very alone and so very out of control. I can't focus and I fear that I'll lose everything I hold dear, starting from a wonderful boyfriend, a great job, decent friends...

I need and want professional help but I have been on wait lists for months now. I ended up in the ER two weeks ago on an IV and almost had to have my appendix taken out... Is there anyone out there who would be willing to talk to me in the meantime??? I am bulimic but anyone struggling with any form of an ED could probably relate in some shape or form, I think.

Thank you.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
(female)

Jade_Wolf HB User

Hey there,

I'm only at the very start of my recovery so I don't have much advice to give... But if it helps at all, I did almost the same thing once with Rolaids. They were these chewy vanilla ones and I lost control... I felt very much the same way. I didn't get sick from it but the impression I made on myself was pretty terrible.

Maybe (this is a weak suggestion but it's all I've got) buy all the gross-tasting versions of medicine (i.e. the non-flavoured, or the really nasty kind, like if you need cough syrup, get Buckley's) because then even in the worst of moments, you wouldn't be tempted by something that could potentially harm you.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
(female)

zusanna HB User

I strongly urge you to seek medical attention!!! Don't be embarrased about it, what you did is very dangerous. Tums have alot of calcium and eating the whole bottle could cause a condition called hypercalcemia (elevated calcium levels in the blood). Severe hypercalcemia could result in coma or cardiac arrest!! So it is very important that you seek medical attention. You can definently OD on antacids. I'm sure the other medication in tums such as the antacid it contains is not good at high levels either. So please, either call the posion control center or go to the ER!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
(female)

rysta787 HB User

Dangerous...yes
Poison control center...probably

HOWEVER...the cocoa and creme TUMS ARE SOOO GOOD! I can't even blame you.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

AubShot HB User

I would also call the poison control center. Calcium overload is not cool stuff. But if it makes u feel any better. When I was anorexic ( although now bulimic) I would binge on tums too, because they were a "safe" food. But I never binged, binged... so i wouldn't have overdosed. Back in those days 4 tums were a binge. I avoided bingeing on them, by only buying the gross kind. The peppermint kind. I still have almost a whole bottle from 2 years ago... so next time lean towards that... but for the meantime, PLEASE call your poison control center...

Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
(female)

Stigma HB User
Wink Re: I just binged on Tums!!! :((((((

Thanks, guys - I am fine, really. It's done and over with now. I just have to make sure I don't do it again. And you are right - I am gonna aim for only the gross kind from now on.

Thank you all so much for all your support once again - it is much appreciated!

Closed Thread