It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
(female)

mandabear HB User
eating meat?

I posted something similar to this on the diet & nutrition board, but i thought i'd ask it here too. I'm recovering from bulimia after 4 years. I have also been a vegetarian for 4 years. While I honestly don't like the taste of some meat, I am debating whether or not to start eating some fish and maybe some chicken again. Has anybody had experience being a vegetarian and then eating meat again when they went into recovery? Is it helpful?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
(female)

lostandfading HB User
Re: eating meat?

I have been a strict vegetarian for 15 years. I am also trying to recover and have had my ED for not even a year now. Personally there is no way I will ever eat meat again. I havent eaten it since I went vegetarian and I dont think it would be helpful to me at all..if anything I'm sure it would make me sick because my body isnt use to it. I am vegetarian because of ethical reasons and the idea of consuming meat is out of the question. Are you worried you are not going to get enough protein? There are many other things you can eat that have protein (beans, nuts, grains, etc.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I think it's a personal choice. I didn't quit eating meat completely when my ED was at its worst, but I ate much less of it...would eat meat only once or twice every 2 weeks and I completely quit eating red meat. Now, I eat meat more often, usually about half the week, I cook meals with meat, the other half my meals are vegetarian. I started eating red meat again too though the leaner cuts. For me, it was the right decision because having foods I just wouldn't eat helped perpetuate my ED. Now, meats are not off limits though I don't eat it as often as some people do and I definitely eat less red meat (maybe once a month I have it) than a lot of people. It's a good source of protein, that's how I look at it. I feel like my body does better now that I'm eating more protein and eating correctly, I have more energy. But you can also get protein from other sources, you just have to be sure you are eating enough calories and not purging it, that is the main thing. If you like the taste of some meats, I don't see a problem with trying to work some into your diet. Maybe start with fish as there are a lot of people who are vegetarian but will eat fish and see how it goes from there.

By the way, fish is extremely healthy for you. It is a very good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which can help prevent heart disease and help your mental functioning, but mainly, I have noticed it helps my mood a LOT! I take 2000 mg. of fish oil pills daily and while it's not a miracle, it really does help my mood quite a bit, so there are definite health benefits to eating fish.

Last edited by livinTX; 02-21-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
(female)

mandabear HB User

thanks for the replies:-) As much as my choice to be vegetarian has been for ethical reasons, it also coincided with the time period in which my eating problems developed into a full on disorder. I'm playing with the idea of just eating fish, but I'm not sure yet.

Closed Thread