It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Good Books on ED

"Gaining" by Amy Liu
Amy Liu suffered through an ED and lived on to become a successful writer. Later in life, after a traumatic divorce, she fell back into the ED. In this book she interviews several people who lived through EDs and writes about how they recovered or are recovering.

"Regaining Your Self" by Ira M. Sacker, MD
Sacker makes a direct connection between EDs and anxiety. Something I've definately noticed in my own life. He states one reason some people fall into EDs is because of the anxiety they feel in their daily life. This is also why it is so comfortable to hang on to the ED and not give it up, even when you know you should.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User
Re: Good Books on ED

I really enjoyed reading "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacher.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Actually, I found "Wasted" to be triggering. I would only read it if you're secure in your recovery. It has the potential to be triggering.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I've seen Wasted but haven't read it. It's a memoir, correct?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Yes, "Wasted" is a memoir. It's well-written but it brought back a lot of issues & memories and may have been partially responsible for keeping me in my ED a year or so longer once I had determined to recover (I'm sure it's not the only thing, but it didn't help recovery for me).

Last edited by livinTX; 06-07-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

It sounds good, but based on your advice I'll probably wait a bit to read it. It seems like most ED books are memoirs, books by therapists to people with EDs, or books by therapists to loved ones of ED sufferers. Many books contain portions of all three. In Sacker's book I mentioned above he says people with ED should not read ED books. I disagree. Although they can cause triggers, I find advocates when reading these books. I feel like, "Aha! Somebody understands me!"

Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

The autor of "Wasted" was also shown in the documentary called "Perfect Illusions". The book was well-written and is a very candid memoir. It really scared me.

If you're a person of faith I recommend "Diary of an Anorexic Girl" by Mogan Menzie. "Soul Hunger" by Sandy Ricardson is also a very encouraging book, Sandy works at Remuda Ranch ED treatment facility and is a woman of faith.

Globones

Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I just finished "Wasted". I thought it was good because it tells you how dangerous an ED can be. It was really scary to read about Marya's experiences in the hospital, etc. The book shows you that ED's aren't so glamorous.

I'm starting "Life Without Ed" Jenni Schaefer. People might think it's not a good idea to read ED books, but I feel like the authors really understand what we're going through.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I don't know. While I was in my ED, reading books on eating disorders just seemed to perpetuate my ED. Particularly "Wasted" I found highly, highly triggering. Of course, at the time, I told myself reading them was helping in my recovery, but I was just pulling the wool over my eyes and lying to myself. Well, for the longest time, I was actually lying to myself about being in recovery; truthfully, I was too scared of what I'd lose to recover, and I told myself that just by going to meetings with psychiatrists, therapists, doctors, nutritionists, group and reading ED books, I was recovering, but I was actually just entrenching myself further and further into my ED since I was making no efforts to change my self-destructive behaviors and truthfully didn't even want to change them.

I guess everybody is different. I don't think it's always a good idea if you have an ED to read books about EDs because they can keep you there longer. You have only to go look at pro-ED sites to see many of these same books listed there as "thinspiration".

Last edited by livinTX; 07-12-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

I too read "Wasted" when I was in treatment for my ED. It wasn't at all triggering for me.

We are all different and can find many things triggering. For me it was working in a grade school. I would compare myself to the 6th grade students, and I mean the skinny 6th grade students, and I would strive to be just like them. Sick I know, but that is what I did.

GloBones

Last edited by Cup of coffee; 07-13-2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

What I liked about Wasted was the fact that it shows you how dangerous and disgusting this disorder can be. It really shows you what this can do to you. The book terrified me.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
(female)

Brookieskidoo HB User

Personally, I think that reading books on Ed can actually help those who are struggling. It helps me see that I am not alone in my situation, and sometimes I find out why I do certain things. I see that some of my behaviors are not character flaws after all, but symptoms of an all to powerful disorder. Reading people's recovery stories give me hope that someday I could as well. I enjoyed "Life Without Ed". Although my disorder was not exactly like hers (I have a hard time even entertaining the thought of keeping a burger down), I realted a lot to her story.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I used professional ED books (treatment focused) to help me get through the first few years after a horrible experience in an inpatient "treatment" center that was really a drug and alcohol rehab, that said they did ED treatment; it was horrible, and the ED patients (usually 3-5 of us out of 60 or so patients) were treated like zoo exhibits. We had our own table, and the others would walk by to see if we were eating; it was horrible. So, when I got out, I got all the books I could, from a professional viewpoint, and acted like I was treating another patient, when working on the different issues in the books. They probably saved my life.

I don't particularly like memoir books, unless they focus on recovery, and not the sordid details (we all have enough of our own). There are a few I like. I have over 100 ED books, and roughly 30 videos (many with more than one movie or show about them). Sometimes they are helpful; other times they are triggering. I just have to be careful.

There's a book for adult women with EDs, called Lying in Weight; it's good. I was getting tired of the high school/college focus (which was fine when I was that age). It had some interesting research pertaining to adults who struggle past 30, and even into their senior citizen years.

Closed Thread