It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User
There is ALWAYS hope!

I expect that there are few, if any, of the people that I used to spend hours talking with on here, that are still around.

Regardless of that though I wanted to start off your new year with a tale of hope.

I have suffered from an ed for 13 years. It started as anorexia-restricting type at age 14 and has been through ednos and anorexia-purging, back to anorexia-restricting. Ed's change sometimes - they evolve to fool you.

Anyway, some years back I finally got some help. Had the help of several therapists who made some small difference to me. I am still in therapy. Technically I still have an eating disorder. And this does not sound like a tale of hope just yet does it? But a few weeks ago something unexpected changed my life. After years of amenorrhea I discovered that I was pregnant.

It was almost unbelievable to me that this could have happened. But some fluke of nature means that my body defied all the outcomes predicted by my doctors.

I hope my baby will be ok, I am fighting with all my heart and soul for the first time ever since this all began...

Maybe a baby is not what you would all wish for. But there is hope for all of you. Hope that something will finally become so much more important to you than the ed. Something so important that you are more scared of losing that then of finally fighting back against your ed.

I wish you all the luck in the world. May your dreams come true in 2008.

H

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
(female)

ashm89 HB User
Re: There is ALWAYS hope!

Thats fantastic, congratulations!! Thank you for sharing that story, it was very touching, especially your paragraph at the end. I wish you all the happiness in the world with your pregnancy and your baby and I hope you stand strong in your fight against your ED which I think you will definately do

Take care, Ash xx

Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Wow, that's some great incentive to take better care of yourself. Did you have amenorrhea when you got pregnant? I have had amenorrhea since May and always wondered if you could get pregnant when you were not cycling.

Regardless, congratulations to you. I hope this joyous event sends your ED packing for good!

Last edited by MariaBB; 01-02-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

Thanks Ash and Maria for the congrats.
Maria - I have not had a period in years. So I had no warning until I started getting early symptoms of pregnancy. It is quite rare to not have at least got one cycle back before you potentially fall pregnant. Having said that, I am one of two of my therapists patients who just had this happen. Weird or what?!
There is no reason why you cannot go on to have a baby one day if you want one - even though you have amenorrhea just now. Concentrate on your recovery and anything is possible.
Take care,
H

Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User

Hi Aur!!

You may remember me from awhile back...

Awesome news girl!!! Congrats to you!!!

I myself did not get a period for 4 years, and now have 2 beautiful children. Infact, having kids was one of my reasons to want to kick ana's *** to the curb.

Even after 8 years of "recovery", I still do find that I struggle as well...I admit, that's what brings me here today. But my children are my life, and I will NEVER let it overcome me again.

deleted

Take care of you and that precious life inside of you...
~J

Last edited by Administrator; 03-05-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
(female)

ak27 HB User

CONGRATULATIONS Aurora that is so awesome!!
I am new to the board this is actually my first post. I am twenty years old a student athlete in college and have been suffering from bulimia on and off for almost 5 years but much more intesley and almost uncontrollably at times since i've been at school the past three years. It has been very much affecting the sport i play and has showed in my performance and as a result i don't see much playing time not like i used to anyway, relationships in my life have suffered as well and just my personal well being and health. I want to stop and have searched out help in the form of therapy. It hasn't started yet but i am really hoping this is the last straw, i want my life back, i am hoping that with determination and professional help i can overcome this. Sometimes though i really doubt myself, this ED has proven to be so elusive at times and come back so unexpectedly. Sometimes i think it is just a habit a way i deal with stressors, i really don't know, anyways i am babbling. Your thread title caught my eye and thats why i chose to post here. I am very happy for you and hope that maybe i can find some support and insight as well as some good people to just talk to.
CONGRATULATIONS again,
ak

Closed Thread