It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
(female)

Taja7 HB User
Unhappy Is there a link between ANOREXIA & LOW WHITE BLOOD?...CONFUSED

I am desparately looking for someone out there to help me relate these two issues. I am about 15 months into recovery from anorexia. I had previously been suffering silently with it for years. I am now of very normal weight for my height, but still struggle regularly with restricting sometimes for days or even weeks at a time. I have been told by my therapist that this is how recovery looks sometimes...peaks and valleys.
Well, my confusion comes in with this.... I was sent to a hematologist by a nurse practitioner just because my white blood count has low for quite some time (about 2 yearshe said). The hema dr. took lots of blood for testing...he said the next step might be a bone marrow biopsy...WOW! I told him of my medical history with my eating dissorder, and he didn't seem to relate the two. I may be in recovery, but I have had poor nutrition for years and am still struggling with good relationships with food & restriction at times. I have read that anorexia can cause low white blood count and I fear that they may be putting me through an aray of unecessary testing and that the two could be linked. Can anyone with similarities share or please confirm my feeling on this. By the way, Im 35 ,otherwise healthy with no symptoms of blood diseases.
VERY AFRAID &
Taja

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User
Re: Is there a link between ANOREXIA & LOW WHITE BLOOD?...CONFUSED

Taja,
I am so sorry that they have scared you like this. I can tell that it IS possible that low white blood cell count can be linked to anorexia nervosa. It happens in approximately 50% of anorectic patients. However, they are right to check what is going on with you at the moment. If you are back up to a normal weight and your eating is improved it should have started reflecting in your fbc figures - even if you are not eating totally 'normally' yet. The reason that they are showing concern over the figures is purely because they need to know if you have any medical issues to be solved. If your white cell count is low you may have trouble fighting off illnesses that come your way, and that is something they would want to help you with.
Take care of yourself, let us know how it goes.
H

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User
Re: Is there a link between ANOREXIA & LOW WHITE BLOOD?...CONFUSED

I think it would be necessary either way. Even though there is a link between ED and white blood counts you should be sure of what the reason is.

Good Luck,
GloBones

Closed Thread