It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

Comediane1111 HB User
Food, Food Everywhere!

Dear Folks,

Whomever said it was right: there seems to be little to no action or new postings on this board lately. So, I decided to ask you all to help me out. If you can offer advice and/or support, that would be greatly appreciated.

It is the end of the semester at college. For some reason, this means a lot of free food. This, of course, makes me very nervous. For instance, a faculty member is currently having a retirement party. This means plenty of free desserts and other goodies that are irresistible. And, trust me, students are encouraged to indulge so these types of food do not go to waste. To compound this matter, I am currently short of course work. I have everything for my classes done, so I am basically twiddling my thumbs in between going to events on campus that have free food (again).

I never can stop myself. I always promise myself, as I and others have stated before, that I will "do better tomorrow." And, of course, I end up doing worse. Surprise, surprise, to be perfectly negative.

Let me know what you all are thinking because, right now, I am thinking that I am a hopeless cause. I have tried eating three healthy meals so I do not overindulge; I have tried thinking that I am completely in control; I have prayed and talked with people. I feel that there is nothing left that I can do, and I am quite unhappy about it.

Thank you.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

MUDSKIP HB User
Re: Food, Food Everywhere!

Dear Comediane1111, I feel your pain. I have often thought that alcoholics have it easier, because you need food to live unlike alcohol. Food is everywhere. Food is also a drug in my mind and I am a food addict. I clearly use food to soothe me. I hear that a person overeats to avoid "feeling" but I don't know what it is that I am trying not to feel. I don't know that I have any advise but just wanted you to know that you are not alone. mudskip

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

I too have noticed that there isn't much action on this board lately. I've found it hard because I've been struggling.

If I eat, I want to purge. It doesn't matter if it's a healthy meal or if I over indulge. I work in a high school, there are always parties going on at the end of the year, and the PTSA always seems to bring treats and goodies for the hard work from the faculty. I have been able to resist because I don't want to fall into a binge/purge cycle.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I don't have suggestions, just empathy. I work in an office and the woman who sits in the next cube drives me insane. Her boss sits directly behind her and always brings in sweets for her team. She sets them on her Admin's desk, which is next to mine. Additionally, whenever somebody brings in treats they set them on her desk. All day people stop by and eat. I'd probably be able to ignore it if they didn't talk about it all the time. "These looks sooooo good!" "I shouldn't have one, but..." It drives me insane because the treats are hard enough to avoid as it is. Everytime I get up I see them, and when I don't get up I hear people talk about them all day. Then, of course, the woman who sits at that desk badgers me, "Take some! Take some!" No!

As the day progresses I become angrier and angrier. They probably think I'm an ungrateful, bitter, angry person, and perhaps I am. I wish I could sit somewhere else, but that's not an option.

Excuse the ranting. My point is I'm sorry for what you're going through and I can relate. Hang in there. School's almost out

Last edited by MariaBB; 05-12-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Sometimes, I think it's better either not to go at all or to just get a glass of club soda or diet soda and participate in the social event. If you can't handle the food at all, then just abstain altogether and eat before or after you go.

Therapy and maybe meds could help you, too, although I've found support groups most helpful in this kind of situation. You could commit to someone you trust just not to eat at these parties.

Might work? Just a suggestion.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
(female)

Honey72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSKIP View Post
Dear Comediane1111, I feel your pain. I have often thought that alcoholics have it easier, because you need food to live unlike alcohol. Food is everywhere. Food is also a drug in my mind and I am a food addict. I clearly use food to soothe me. I hear that a person overeats to avoid "feeling" but I don't know what it is that I am trying not to feel. I don't know that I have any advise but just wanted you to know that you are not alone. mudskip

I totally get where you're coming from! It is an addiction. People think overeaters are greedy but it's just the same as always wanting a cigarette, it's just it's food you want and the side-effects (putting on weight) are far more visible to people than if you smoke or drink. And also reviled more for some reason.
I also don't know what feelings I'm trying to avoid, or replace. As far as I'm concerned I just feel the need to eat!
I used to be bulimic but hardly ever make myself sick now, mostly because I went on the pill and was too scared of getting pregnant. I still binge though and still having those feelings of wanting to purge, but you can't. It's horrible thinking of all that food still inside you.
I have PCOS and have read that 80% of bulimic women have PCOS too, and that it could be down to insulin resistance making you crave carbs all the time. It's not something I've really looked into but it sounds logical.
With regards to the original post, can't you just leave early? (ie go back home, if that's what you do in the holidays). I know it means missing out on end of term fun but sometimes you have to make tough choices.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
(female)

Comediane1111 HB User

Hi, everyone!

I do very much appreciate your replies. They are very supportive and helpful. And yes, I agree with the notion that other addictions are avoidable, but not the addiction one has to food, at least, easier said than done.

I noticed that someone, in his or her posting, mentioned that they worked in a high school. I am soon to be doing the same thing, and I too fear the amount of free goodies, homebaked treats, and irrisitable munchies - think "candy bar sale" here - are going to completely overwhelm me. I also fear that my lack of self-control or over-restriction around food is going to set off red flags for my future co-workers. The last thing I need it to yet again enter another circle of people only to have those people eventually discover that I cannot do what it seems as though any other normal, functioning person can do: eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated; I love the responses that are already posted for my origional posting!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Well, if you were diabetic, you wouldn't touch the sweet stuff, and people wouldn't think anything of it. Anything you could tell people, casually, that would tell them you aren't allowed to eat certain things? I agree that your illness doesn't belong in the workplace.

I can't handle sugar, and I know it, so I decided years ago not to go near it. I eat plenty of carbs, complex ones, but not one cookie. It's worked for me; my bulimia was really bad. I had to do with sugar what I'd already done with alcohol.

Keep working at it, you will find an answer.

Closed Thread