It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
(female)

Natalieb161 HB User
Seeking help

I have come on this site sort of seeking help, as I don't really know who else to talk to about it....

I've always been overweight, even as a child, and I've always over ate, its always something I've been quite ashamed of, I'm not sure if what I had was binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating, but I've always ate in secret and in large amounts, I felt unable to control what I was eating. Due to all this I've always had really low self esteem, and I've always been trying to diet, you name the diet, I've done it!

About 2 months ago, I started to purge what I was eating, I saw it as an easy option to get whatever I ate out of my body, I feel a sort of high whenever I purge and I've lost weight, I don't think I'm bulimic because I don't binge eat anymore, basically whatever I eat I get back up, even if its a normal amount of food, for example yesterday I had a sandwich for dinner and I threw it up imediately after, I just don't know what to do, I know what I'm doing is wrong and damaging to my body, but after years and years of dieting and being depressed over my weight, I feel this is the only way I can control my eating habits, if I stop I will just start binge eating again, I'm too scared to tell anyone and I don't really want to go and see a doctor, I really just don't know what to do

Old 06-13-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Seeking help

Hello Natalie,

Please do not be opposed to seeing a doctor.

There may be internal damage or imbalances that are not visible to the naked eye.

If you had a broken bone, you wouldn't try to treat it yourself.

Stress, depression and a host of other factors can trigger eating disorders.

Are you willing to see a therapist?

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

Natalieb161 HB User

I'd be prepared to see a therapist I suppose

I don't think I'm doing this because of depression or anything like that, I just hate the way I am so much, I've dieted all my life, and it all got too much so I started to purge, and now I don't seem to be able to stop

I think I'm getting a bit out of control, I know I need to tell someone but I feel so guilty and ashamed of what I've been doing

Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Natalie,

There may be self esteem problems, etc., that may be part of the equation.

The need to binge/purge does not happen overnight; this is definitely something that can be looked into.

I too felt guilty and ashamed and then I felt responsible; I owed it to myself to see what was going on and then do something about it.

Keep posting; it will help if you give it a chance.

As I always say, when in doubt, post it out.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Disordered eating is a manifestation of something else going on inside. That "something else" was there long before the behavior.

A therapist can help you learn better ways to cope with these inner issues and a dietician can help you find healthful ways to manage your weight.

A support group will provide accountability.

I'm glad you're reaching out here...it's a good step in the right direction (((hug)))!

Please keep in touch!

Love, Kelly

Closed Thread