It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

helloNice2meetU HB User
Thumbs down Do i Have an addiction to food??

Hello,, im 15 and i dont if i have a problem or if im just making myself crazy.
So im a binger. i eat whenever i get the chance. doesnt matter if im hungry or not. I eat when im happy, sad, angry, ect. im always thinking about food, mostly negitively. I always feel bad when i eat, but i still just keep eating more and more. I try not to think of food as my enemy but that doesnt work. I know whats healthy, i know what good portions are, yet i keep falling back into bad habbits. the longest iv ever been able to keep a healthy diet or "life style" was a week. im always on a rollercoaster. it gets me angry and deepressed that i feel like food has control over me. i dont like my body, and though i workout and am in sports, i feel like if i dont change the way i eat i will never be able to lose weight. <I lost weight> but im scared ill gain all the weight back. What gets to me the most is the fact that im always trying to be healthy and it just feels like a failed attempt on after the other. nothing i do works. I tired keeping journals, making posters, telling my bestfriend my goals. nothing works. i remind myself of a drugy. so i tried talking to my mom about it but she got mad. she doesnt like me to think theres anything wrong with me. but i feel like its serious. this food problem is effecting me way more thanit should.i want help but i dont know how to get it. i dont even know if i really do have a problem.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-19-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: edited triggering passages

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Do i Have an addiction to food??

Hi,
I am sorry that you are going through this but you're moving in the right direction by starting to ask for help.

What you describe sounds like disordered eating patterns and thoughts that could very well turn into a full blown eating disorder. I read your story and it took me back to my experiences. I could recite the calorie content of everything in my house and I know what's healthy too.

I also know that somehow it always ended up being too much and then it was never enough. Only, it wasn't about food; I was too much and then never enough. It took me six years to figure out that it was never about food or about my size; it was a coping mechanism (It was my way of trying to control things)...

If you told your parents and they don't think it's a problem then there are somethings you can do. You can go online-we can't give out links to other sites- but there are several sites where you can take an online eating disorder screening.

Most screenings are only 5 questions long. You have pretty much stated 3 of the 5 statements in that one paragraph alone. Print it out and either try again with your parents or try a school counselor or a nurse-don't give up! A counselor can help you with DBT or CBT skills to use.

Some people, like me, wait years and years before reaching out and by then the damage isn't always reversible. Please take the screening soon.

Closed Thread