It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

Cipriana HB User
Thumbs up In recovery for laxative abuse!

Hi all,

I wanted to start this post for myself and others out there who are battling laxative abuse and want to recover!
I have been in recovery and off of the laxatives for about 1 month now and my body is recovering well, which I am so very thankful for!! But I am having a hard time adjusting my eating and becoming healthy again (also mentally, when it comes to food).
I am taking specific supplements and am eating a lot of healthy foods to restore the minerals and vitamins that I flushed out for years on the laxatives. My hair is in a bad state too, so I am really sad about this and am taking lots of supplements for this as well.

For me the laxative abuse came after a long history of eating disorders, in my early teens I first had very serious anorexia, which after years of hospitals and clinics transformed into bulimia - a period in which I'd rarely leave the house and exercise constantly to try and compensate for the bulimic binges. Then I "discovered" the laxatives, and figured I could eat all I wanted and still look thin. This however is such a misconception, since all the weight you lose is waterweight, not body-fat. And it's so so dangerous too.... all the harm you're doing to your organs, horrible. If you are reading this I am sure you know about the risks, if you don't please google laxative abuse and it's horrible side effects! Every day you are abusin the laxatives, you are hurting yourself.

So... RECOVERY! Let's focus on the positive... Yes, it is a hard road but it can be done! You are the one in control, remember this.
I really want a place where I can come and discuss the struggles and also the positive aspects of recovery with other people who are going through the same deal.

Leave a message if you are dealing with this, have dealt with this or just for plain support! I know you girls and guys are out there, who are dealing with it right now, feeling like you won't ever be able to go off the lax... I've been there, I thought I would NEVER EVER be off of them. But here I am, going strong.
Please join me in this battle, i'll be here for you

Last edited by Cipriana; 04-17-2010 at 12:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cipriana For This Useful Post:
airinsky (01-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
(female)

c2runner HB User
Re: In recovery for laxative abuse!

I too am in recovery for one month. Finding it hard. HAVE gained some weight, but figure it is water weight and my body recovering from being dehydrated. My belly too is bloated somewhat. Some of my clothes are also tight, and having a hard time dealing with it. What has been your side effects from going off of the laxatives? I have been taking Chinese herbs, and the doctor has put me on colace.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
(female)

Cipriana HB User

Hi c2runner, good to read from you!

I know it's hard... but it's amazing that you quit them! So congratulations on that.
My side effects are, hm, well, my problem is, that I didn't stop binging... it possibly got even worse than when I was on them! So now I am gaining weight, but I am doing everything in my power to not start taking them again because I know it's a cold hard road that leads to only destruction and pain, possibly death or lifelong complications... don't want that!
So instead of grabbing for the laxatives I am going to lose weight the sensible way and even more importantly, I am going to change the way I handle food (the binging) so that none of this has to happen again. I just want to be in balance, feel good about myself, look good WITHOUT the lax... I had this crazy idea in my head that I looked good because of the lax, because I had a nice flat belly, super thin face, thin legs, everything, but it was ONLY because my body was completely dehydrated! Laxatives don't make you thin, they shrivel you up into a decaying lifeless dehydrated... thing!

So there hah had to say that, in case someone reads this and starts thinking laxatives might be a good idea to control weight.
It's not, it only brings you misery.

But yeah, I've been eating a lot, and I suppose from the bad (the binging and gaining weight) I can take a good element, which is that all that eating gave me back my regularity... which is a good thing.

<edited>

Best of luck to you!!

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-19-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: edited triggering passages

Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
(female)

c2runner HB User

Have a question. Even tho I have been off of them now for about a month. I find that I still have to use herbs and colace to help in the process. Did you find this too. Also, didn't you find that you gained some weight just by your body rehydrating after all of the years of abuse? I abused laxatives for 40 years.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
(female)

Cipriana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2runner View Post
Have a question. Even tho I have been off of them now for about a month. I find that I still have to use herbs and colace to help in the process. Did you find this too. Also, didn't you find that you gained some weight just by your body rehydrating after all of the years of abuse? I abused laxatives for 40 years.

Hi c2runner,
yes at first I gained water weight, which I think is the natural way of your body to respond, it has been used to having every bit of water flushed out, so now that it is getting it, it's making sure to hold on to it.. this is a matter of time, it WILL go away.
40 years is a long time, it's absolutely EPIC and AMAZING that you quit them c2runner, just... WOW. Be super proud!

At the beginning you might need some herbs or things such as physilium husk to get things moving, but try and not become dependant on those... i think the best is to keep hydrated, like really make a point of drinking plenty of water, eat healthy small meals all throughout the day so you keep your bowels active, lots of fiber (prune/fig juice) and incorporate some exercises.
I started up yoga and pilates and some cardio. It makes me feel better about my body, stretches are great for you

I would like to keep in touch, see how it goes for the both of us. Good idea?

I wish you all the luck!!!!

Last edited by Cipriana; 04-23-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
(female)

c2runner HB User
Thumbs up Re: In recovery for laxative abuse!

Dear Cipriani,

Thanks. I am feeling good. Hopefully, within a few months this will be just a memory. I am even enjoying not looking so angled. Have gained just a couple of pounds (I think, do not get on a scale), but that's fine. Amazing how many women have abused laxatives. It was mind boggling to believe their are so many women out there who are just like me. So, thanks for your reply. I will keep you posted; you do the same.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
(female)

c2runner HB User

I have now been in recovery for 2 months. I know I was supposed to feel better, but I am not. I am still retaining water, my clothes size keeps changing. My ankles and thighs are retaining fluids. I still have to take something to help me go to the bathroom. No laxatives, fiber, etc. Much better that way. I feel tired and I am upset that things are not going well. I do not understand the water retention, and I also now have pain in my two thumb joints. My blood work shows that things are fine. Any suggestions?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
(female)

darcar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipriana View Post
Hi all,

I wanted to start this post for myself and others out there who are battling laxative abuse and want to recover!
I have been in recovery and off of the laxatives for about 1 month now and my body is recovering well, which I am so very thankful for!! But I am having a hard time adjusting my eating and becoming healthy again (also mentally, when it comes to food).
I am taking specific supplements and am eating a lot of healthy foods to restore the minerals and vitamins that I flushed out for years on the laxatives. My hair is in a bad state too, so I am really sad about this and am taking lots of supplements for this as well.

For me the laxative abuse came after a long history of eating disorders, in my early teens I first had very serious anorexia, which after years of hospitals and clinics transformed into bulimia - a period in which I'd rarely leave the house and exercise constantly to try and compensate for the bulimic binges. Then I "discovered" the laxatives, and figured I could eat all I wanted and still look thin. This however is such a misconception, since all the weight you lose is waterweight, not body-fat. And it's so so dangerous too.... all the harm you're doing to your organs, horrible. If you are reading this I am sure you know about the risks, if you don't please google laxative abuse and it's horrible side effects! Every day you are abusin the laxatives, you are hurting yourself.

So... RECOVERY! Let's focus on the positive... Yes, it is a hard road but it can be done! You are the one in control, remember this.
I really want a place where I can come and discuss the struggles and also the positive aspects of recovery with other people who are going through the same deal.

Leave a message if you are dealing with this, have dealt with this or just for plain support! I know you girls and guys are out there, who are dealing with it right now, feeling like you won't ever be able to go off the lax... I've been there, I thought I would NEVER EVER be off of them. But here I am, going strong.
Please join me in this battle, i'll be here for you

Closed Thread