It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
(female)

dibdab HB User
Depression or Anorexia

Hi I am worried about my daughter who has been suffering from depression for about 6 months only known that for about a month though, as she's been away at Uni. My concern is the her symptoms which included lack of appetite, weight loss, not sleeping, drinking, not going out, if she did sleep having horrible dreams. She's <at a low weight>. When she told me her weight it seemed to me that she almost looked, how can I say it, "excited". I realise things are open to interpretaion and maybe I was seeing too much in it but,for the first time I wondered if she has an eating disorder and has become depressed or is it just simply that the lack of eating is because she is depressed.

I had decided from the beginning not to worry too much about her eating thinking at the time that it was simply a symptom of the depression, but I have started to become more concerned about her lack of eating. She rarely eats anything until late in the day and then it's often stuff which isn't particularly healthy crisps sweet things at first I thought let her eat what she wants for now and when the tabs start working, then start looking at her diet. Any advise would be great.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-30-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: edited triggering words

Old 05-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User
Re: Depression or Anorexia

Hey dibdab,

She could be suffering from both depression can lead to anorexia.

Signs of possible anorexia
  • Dieting despite being thin – Follows a severely restricted diet. Eats only certain low-calorie foods. Bans “bad” foods such as carbohydrates and fats.
  • Obsession with calories, fat grams, and nutrition – Reads food labels, measures and weighs portions, keeps a food diary, reads diet books.
  • Pretending to eat or lying about eating – Hides, plays with, or throws away food to avoid eating. Makes excuses to get out of meals (“I had a huge lunch” or “My stomach isn’t feeling good.”).
  • Preoccupation with food – Eats very little, but constantly thinks about food. May cook for others, collect recipes, read food magazines, or make meal plans.
  • Strange or secretive food rituals – Often refuses to eat around others or in public places. May eat in rigid, ritualistic ways (e.g. cutting food “just so”, chewing food and spitting it out, using a specific plate).
  • Fixation on body image – Obsessed with weight, body shape, or clothing size. Frequent weigh-ins and concern over tiny fluctuations in weight.
  • Harshly critical of appearance – Spends a lot of time in front of the mirror checking for flaws. There’s always something to criticize. They’re never thin enough.
    Denies being too thin – Refuses to believe that his or her low body weight is a problem, but may try to conceal it (drinking a lot of water before being weighed, wearing baggy or oversized clothes).

The most common reason for people with depression to begin to show signs is its a way of controlling something in there life, it makes them feel like there in control of one little part.

Hope she is feeling better,

Dan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread