It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
(female)

TrueEssence HB User
What Is This?

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this board. I have a question that I was hoping some of you might be willing to help me out with. I have very odd eating habits. I obsess over a certain food only wanting that food and nothing else for sometimes months at a time. the longest period has been three months. After, my little obsession passes I can hardly look at the food because I am so DONE with it. for instance, corn dogs was my last obsession. for two weeks I had to have them for every meal. even though I continued to cook regular for my family who do not share my same tastes. another example would be this past summer it was steak-ums, and then before than corn chowder, then fish chowder...ect. Of course now I can't stand the smell of any of these foods, but at the time if I didn't have them I HAD to get them. weird huh. sometimes there are times when I do not have a preference and this is even harder than when I do. because then I can't eat. All I know is that my father was the same way. and that I would like to change because it is painful. I also have OCD Tendencies so I am not sure that it is an eating disorder? but maybe more on the lines of OCD? I figured someone might be willing to help me.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time!

Old 12-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: What Is This?

Eating disorders can coexist with other disorders such as OCD, bipolar, depression etc..

People with eating disorders have an obsession and a preoccupation with food. I am recovering from anorexia, purge type and I became obsessive especially with food! (It's a side effect of starvation.)

I watched the food network all day. (I don't even cook and I didn't watch it because I craved the food, I just "needed" to be around food but not eat it.) I also hoarded food. Even my dreams/nightmares where about food. I use to spend hours memorizing calorie counts, looking at labels and organizing my pantry.

Eating disorders are also about "control." Usually, people feel like they can't control some aspect of their lives and they use food as a coping mechanism (to feel numb, self-harm etc..).

You said that there are times when you don't eat because you don't have a preference. Do you go long periods without eating?

People with eating disorders and disordered eating have "safe foods" Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason what gets put on the list. It could be low calorie, low fat or even a treat. Everyone is different.

The one item that you only allow yourself to eat could be considered your "safe food."

Eating disorders include: anorexia, bulimia and EDNOS. In your case, it's difficult to suggest that it is an eating disorder or disorder eating because of the OCD tendencies.

My suggestion is to take an online eating disorder questionnaire and talk to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread