It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

lizoza HB User
Question Best friend/ex refuses to get treatment for ED. What to do?

My best friend and ex (she broke up with me about a month ago because she felt inadequate) is very depressed and suicidal. Since her family relies on her and she understands what killings herself would do to me and them, she decided to stay alive. However, she refuses to get treatment for her depression and the pain is quite unmanageable. To cope with the pain she has started depriving herself of food. She has been anorexic in the past for a few years and reached extreme levels of malnutrition and emaciation.

She told me about her new phase of anorexia two days ago and I have been a complete mess ever since. I begged her for hours to stop this, reminded her of all the side-effects she still suffers from (joint pain, stomach aches, etc.) but she says that the anorexia "sustains her" and that it's the only way she can cope with the pain of being alive. I told her that if she got antidepressants she could manage her pain much better without any long-term harm. She won't listen.

What do I now? I love her dearly and care about her and can't stop caring about her. I can't turn to her family because they're useless (I've turned to them before when she was on the verge of suicide and lived to regret it deeply). I don't live in the same country as her. Begging for her to spare me all this pain isn't working. Reminding her of what harm she is doing to herself isn't working either.

Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

lizoza HB User
Re: Best friend/ex refuses to get treatment for ED. What to do?

To all those who clicked and are interested in what happened in the last three weeks (since I posted) - after a complete mental meltdown on my part, my friend agreed to try natural antidepressants to help her feel better so that she won't need the anorexia. The pills aren't working and she refused to take real antidepressants. She has become quite apathetic and has become impossible talking to her without getting hurt (she keeps saying that the anorexia is good for her and that I'll get over this).

So she's still starving herself and our friendship is pretty much over.

Closed Thread