It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

amyxxx HB User
Realisation of bulimia

For a few years now i have suffered from general poor health, dental problems constant throat infections and inflammation, acne, fatigue, headaches and many other general issues. Never once did i link these to my dependance on laxatives and purging through vommiting. My abuse of laxatives has reached the point where I am basically overdosing on them to reach the desired effect I used to achieve by taking one dulcolax tablet maybe once a week. The sudden realisation that i need help occured last night while lying in my bed with terrible pains caused by the laxatives. I realise that I need help and am damaging my health. I feel very unsure talking to my mum about this as she suffers from depression and I think she will be disapointed or even not believe me. I am writing on this forum because I don't know what else to do, I do not want to go to a doctor because I really don't want to be diagnosed with bulimia, to always have to be burdened by this in every aspect of my life more so than already.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
(female)

always8 HB User
Re: Realisation of bulimia

Hi, why by contacting a doctor would you feel you'll ALWAYS keep the diagnosis? From reading your post it sounds as though you want help with this.. You're doctor is your best bet as a starting place. You at least need to get your bloods checked re laxative OD etc.
It can be a daunting thing to admit to a professional. Are you worried of how they night react?
Let us know how you get on. ;-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

You need to stop.
If you are unable to stop on your own, then you need to seek medical assistance.
Please be aware that by using laxatives, you lose nothing but water weight, which returns as soon as you drink something. You may also cause your bowels to lose muscle tone to the point that you can no longer have an unassisted bowel movement, which would be unpleasant, to say the least.

As far as vomiting, you should be aware that you're likely dissolving the enamel off your teeth, and may end up toothless soon if you can't get this under control.
Chronic vomiting also eats holes in your esophagus, and unbalances your electrolytes, so that you may end up having a heart attack if you don't stop.

For all this danger, bulimics don't even tend to lose much weight.
There is no purpose to you risking your young life this way.
It's a tragic waste.
Please stop.

If you can't stop, seek help. I can tell you that if you're abusing laxatives and forcing yourself to vomit regularly, you are in fact bulimic and will be diagnosed as such. I think you know that already. That takes the suspense out of it.
The point is, once you're diagnosed, the doctor can begin to treat you, and assist you in regaining your health.
You needn't worry about your mother not believing you. I'm sure she'll believe the doctor.
You also shouldn't feel guilty: this is a sickness, and not your fault.

Please do whatever you need to do in order to get well.
Good luck.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

laxative abuse can cause dehydration . It also will cause you to have extremely painful muscle cramps. The last poster was correct, your teeth will be affected by purging so much. Your teeth will absess and this is extremely painful. Then the tooth dies, turns black , and brittle, eventually falling out of your mouth. Not only that you will end up having to have extensive , and evasive dental procedures and expensive dental procedures.
I know all to well , becaue I had anorexia/bulimia for years. Now I wear a partial that has fake teeth. I lost four of my front teeth. Plus I still have problems with stomach ulcers, and acid reflex.
About the laxatives, something else you need to be aware of, Having a ED messess up your electrolites. These are chemicals in your body that keeps you alive. Electrolytes imbalances can cause you to end up with brain damage and organ failure. You need to be tested for that , so you do not end up getting extremely ill, or die. More things : purging can lead to a ruptured esohogas. This can also kill you.
Gosh I could continue , about ED's and the health problems that arise from them, but I think you got the picture.

Last edited by mscat40; 03-01-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyxxx View Post
I do not want to go to a doctor because I really don't want to be diagnosed with bulimia, to always have to be burdened by this in every aspect of my life more so than already.
Hello amyxxx...

Try to view it this way...how can you get rid of something, if you don't know exactly what it is?

First and foremost, the problem has to be identified and who more qualified than the professionals(who have the accreditation to make diagnosis') to do just that.

Having bulimia is nothing to be proud of but it takes courage to seek help.

It's about being responsible and accountable.

Please consider this.

Respectfully stated,

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 03-19-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: grammar correction

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Pacifier (08-29-2012)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
(female)

Eyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB User

Hey, I saw your post and figured I might be able to help a little.

Also- yeah, I had bulimia for about 2 and a half years. I purged something like 7 times a day and lost 50 lbs in 3 months. It wasnt the easiest thing getting help, but I got it, and now I never do it and probably never will. So, the courage pays off Anyway, here's what I did.

First of all, as far as going to the doctor goes, all you have to say is "I am having some issues with bullimia and I would like to be referred to a therapist to discuss these issues I'm having and try to get some help." Your medical doctor is just going to ask you maybe a couple of questions about it and provide you with a referral. So CALM DOWN, they arent going to ship you away to a rehab clinic all of a sudden! Also it might help if you request a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. That's what I had to do anyway. And please believe in yourself. It can be done. In the meantime, I selected a couple of very close friends that I could hold myself accountable to. And I would call them whenever I wanted to purge and they would do their best to talk me down from it.

Also, your therapist or psych or whoever you end up getting is going to point out to you that the way you are thinking about food and body image is actually very irrational. ED's actually prohibit you from growing up mentally, which is kind of freaky to think about. And they will help you get out of it, because they've dealt with it a lot. You arent going to shock anybody so dont psych yourself out. You need to get some help sweetie, because this isnt a good thing. and you cant keep hiding it from people, bc you hurting yourself actually hurts the people who love you.
Hope you get better and good luck!

Closed Thread