It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

Jess4888 HB User
New and kind of at a rough point

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but came across this site and wanted to post something that has been happening and possibly get some support or advice.

I have been dealing with eating disorders for about half of my life now (mostly bulimia) . About two weeks ago, I had a stomach flu and was getting sick most of the day. The next day I woke up with excruciating chest pains. So I went to the hospital and had an EKG done, it was reading signs of a heart attack. The doctors excluded that because of my age, and found out I had myocarditis. I did not tell the doctors about my bulimia, and I assumed since they didn't realize, the damage must not be as bad as i thought. I haven't had an episode since about the end of December, which is another reason why I'm thinking the myocarditis wasn't caused by the bulimia. . But I'm just curious if anyone has heard of this... could this be a result of my bulimia? The drs told me every time I get sick I run the risk of this happening again, and it terrifies me, but I fear that I will start purging again soon.

I feel so scared, and I don't know what to do anymore... I have an appointment coming up with a cardiologist, and am debating on whether or not to tell him. Is it too late, now that I am out of the hospital?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
(female)

always8 HB User
Re: New and kind of at a rough point

Hi
Sounds to me as though you OUGHT to be concerned for your health, so, yes, contact a doctor asap.
If you continue/ resume purging you are risking your life. I suppose each of us with ED run such risks, but you've even had a clear warning.
Take this as an alarm bell telling you to act.
All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

You got to be honest with your Dr's . It is very important since you do have other issues going on. I am certain that the ED is not good for your heart, puts a lot of stress on your whole body. You got to take care of yourself better, and I hope that you do. Your life may be depending on this.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

I don't know if the bulimia caused the myocarditis, but you HAVE to tell the doctors all the information you have. Don't worry about them judging you, they've seen it all before and are pretty desensitized to be surprised about anything anymore. The more you tell them, the more they can help you. Bulimia can really cause heart problems of all sorts so you need to be honest and get some help.

Closed Thread