It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
(male)

LiveInSkin HB User
Advice needed

I have a friend who recently told me about her eating disorder problems and then ignored me for a few days. She than said the reason she was avoiding me was because she had opened herself up to me and felt very vulnerable and embarrassed because of what she had said, I reassured her that she shouldn't feel that way and that I was here to help her.

She then told me that during the few days she was ignoring me that she took laxatives, almost immediately she freaked out again and has once again started ignoring me.

How can I convince her that I am here to help and that what she tells me won't make me think any less of her?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
(female)

always8 HB User
Re: Advice needed

All I can suggest is be patient. It sounds as though your friend is testing out a few things. There may be a part of her that wants to talk and is seeking support, but also another part that is scared and thinks silence and secrets is safer.
I kept my ED behaviours hidden for many years, and am still fiercely protective of who knows what.
For some people they can feel they are losing power by speaking up. It's as if the illness side of their personality is pressurising them to keep ED a secret. The illness knows that by seeking help it may lose the limelight.
Hope this helps.
Your friend may be terrified of making changes but it sounds as though she may be contemplating ..
If you can weather the silences and ignoring inbetween whiles you might find that you're providing invaluable support.

Last edited by always8; 03-28-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread