It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

T20 HB User
Friend with eating disorder-Blood clotting?

Hi there,

I have a friend who I think has an eating disorder. I haven't seriously confronted her yet, because I feel like she is in too much denial and it won't do any good. I also wanted to be 100% sure that she has one before saying anything. I have told her that she looks too skinny and needs to eat more before, but it's always blown off with a joke about how much she eats and such. She is tall and used to be athletic so she doesn't come off as anorexic unless you see her bony upperbody and her eating habits. These are her symptoms:

-Excuses for not eating(already ate, full, eating later)
-Excessive working out(runs an hour on the treadmill 5-6 times a week)
-Orders a meal and moves her food around to make it look like she ate
-Will eat frozen yogurt for a meal
-Exhaustion
-Always cold-circulation issues
-Thinks she is bigger than she is
-Have never seen her eat a full hardy meal...usually orders a salad with dressing on the side when she eats in front of me
-If we order an appetizer, she'll pick off the fried part and push it aside and only nibbles on it
-Has bowel issues(has mentioned taking laxatives)
-Body image issues-has bigger muscular legs and hates them
-Been hospitalized for blood clotting in her neck(had to have surgery)....is this a symptom of anorexia? I've tried to find a forum about this, but haven't been able to find this.
-Had never admitted to eating issues and when confronted by college coaches, completely denied saying she couldn't keep on weight because of all of the workouts
-Always says that she ate so much or drank so much on the weekend, but I've never seen her do this
-A+ student and control issues

What do I do and has anyone ever heard of this blood clotting issue relating to anorexia? I feel like I should say all of this to her, but I don't want to ruin the friendship because I know she will deny it all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Friend with eating disorder-Blood clotting?

Hello T20,

There are two types of broken blood vessels that occur under the skin;welts and blood spots,that can cause blood clots.

Blood spots may be a sign of malnutrition.

The best thing you can do is showing support by being her friend.

If she is in denial,simply let her know that you're there for her;if or when she needs you.

I consider her one of the fortunate ones,to have a friend like you.

Respectfully,
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 06-07-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Added additional information

Closed Thread