It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

LexieAnn HB User
Hospitalization for Anorexia Nervosa

Okay, so I am 18 years old and female. I am currently under the care of a team of outpatient psychiatrists and a psychologist/therapist. I have anorexia with bulimic tendencies. I am rapidly losing weight after a relapse last week. Over the week I have lost 13 pounds. My therapist is probably going to hospitalize me against my will, since my parents can go to a judge and have him agree that I am not sane enough to make my own medical decisions although I am 18 years old.

What I am wondering is what hospitalization is like. Have any of you ever been hospitalized for an eating disorder? I'm really scared and I would love some knowledge of what intensive recovery is really like.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: LexieAnn
gemsiegem (07-21-2011), Phoenix (07-14-2011), Sam852 (07-13-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Hospitalization for Anorexia Nervosa

[QUOTE=LexieAnn;4773513 I'm really scared and I would love some knowledge of what intensive recovery is really like.[/QUOTE]

Hello LexieAnn,

Although I have never been inpatient, I would assume it is a disciplined approach to recovery.

I am thinking that monitoring of meals,supervised bathroom breaks,nutritional,psychological and group counseling,medication monitoring and reflection or relaxation time.

Adherance to the rules may be rewarded by special privileges also.

It may seem like a lot but please realize that these people are professionals;trained to handle ED's in a carefully structured environment.

Respectfully,
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
(female)

gemsiegem HB User
Re: Hospitalization for Anorexia Nervosa

Hiya Lexieann,

I was an inpatient in a general ward and also in a mental health unit..
It was frightening when I was threatened with becoming an inpatient, I didn't know what to expect or anything.
I am not trying to scare you here but it was probley the worst experience of my life and I've been through some hard times. The whole reason behind anorexia is control, they take that away from you. You are told what you can and can not do just like a child, wheelchair everywhere, watched in the shower, watching eating meals, made to rest all the time and if you do not apply to this then you have a NG tube put down your nose into your stomach where they feed you with high calorie milky liquid which is filled with vitamins and all sorts.
I would not wish this on anyone, I had to learn the hard way and really do not want you to do the same. It is much easier to do this on your own accord and you will be so proud of your self for achieving this and so will I because it is hard and gets harder but when your outta anorexia's grips lots of things open up to you. You have the whole life ahead of you and could be anything you ever dreamt of.

My father was the one who set my anorexia off he called my a fat little freak this really affected me badly, I blamed my self for falling out with him so gave him a second chance he then called me stupid so now I know that it is not my fault and it is because he is a nasty person.
If you ever need to talk to release the anxiety or just for someone to talk to im always here x

Closed Thread