It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
(male)

xthegeminix HB User
does the body ever fix it self

I am wondering after six years with recovery does the body ever right itself of the problems it has (via metabolic /gastro)I also suffer from ADHD and ever since I have reached a weight my body was happy with I just can't seem to function.I alternate between painful stomach bloating and swelling and flooring hunger pains that tire me out all day long.I sometimes feel painful bloating and gas pockets that keep me up way late into the hours of early early morning.The mornings are the worst of all with the increased sense of hunger and bowl irritation.I don't know what to do anymore this has effected my enjoyment of activities ,friendships,work, school and everything inbetween .I am tired of paying for a mistake i made so long ago spured on from peer bullying.I have had every gastro test under the sun performed,I have been tried on multiple meds from them as well and nothing helps.I have found latly the only way to keep the bloating and gas pockets down is to stay slightly hungry and dare I say start restricting again.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: does the body ever fix it self

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthegeminix View Post
I have had every gastro test under the sun performed,I have been tried on multiple meds from them as well and nothing helps.

I have found latly the only way to keep the bloating and gas pockets down is to stay slightly hungry and dare I say start restricting again.
Hello x,

Have you seen a nutritionist?

The answer may lie with your dietary intake.

Are you under a lot of stress as of late?

There is a lot to be said of the mind/body connection.

Respectfully,
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

X, My "recovery" symptoms are different, but I can empathize. I never thougt I was "ED enough" because I didn't have all the symptoms. Now I know, some come to haunt you later! I've been in recovery a few years and am proud to say I've expanded my safe food list greatly. My diet is not perfect, but I couldn't have eaten half of what I'm enjoying back then. Unfortunately I've got hypotension (super low blood pressure) and my electrolytes are all screwed up (hyperkalemia). I feel great physically (no gastro issues), but my MD has an odd habit of giving me EKGs.

If anyone out there is not in recovery, save yourself now. I'd rather sit through the horrible anxiety after a meal than deal with this uncertainity of my future health. (I found the anxiety lessened slowly as I slogged through recovery.)

Yeah, the anxiety and self hatred suck, I know, but I promise they will pass.

Last edited by MariaBB; 06-20-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
(female)

Larson38 HB User

I used to have very similar stomach issues. I started drinking mass amounts of water. I would buy a 50 oz. bottle and measure my water intake and make sure I drank at the very least two a day. Many people think that if you drink water you will get bloated when actually if you don't drink enough your body holds on to whatever it has making you bloated. Once I began building up my water intake all my stomach problems went away. My face was more clear, I was not so fatigued. It can be a pain to carry large water bottles and visiting the bathroom all the time but I swear water is the cure!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
(female)

gemsiegem HB User

I suffer with the bloating and the gas pockets too,
I have noticed certain foods and drinks set mine off more, but in general it happens all the time so I understand how annoying and even upsetting it can be.
I have tried all sorts to try and stop it because it can really hurt sometimes, i've tried charcoal capsules, rennie deflatine, papaya enzymes, certain laxatives which state they will relieve bloating and the list goes on and on... but nothing seems to work.
If anyone has any ideas what else to try I will be very thankful as it is like the bane of my life at the moment and always feel self consious about it. x

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
(female)

Alyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson38 View Post
I used to have very similar stomach issues. I started drinking mass amounts of water. I would buy a 50 oz. bottle and measure my water intake and make sure I drank at the very least two a day. Many people think that if you drink water you will get bloated when actually if you don't drink enough your body holds on to whatever it has making you bloated. Once I began building up my water intake all my stomach problems went away. My face was more clear, I was not so fatigued. It can be a pain to carry large water bottles and visiting the bathroom all the time but I swear water is the cure!
After doing everything mentioned as well (tests, stomach meds, switching what I ate) I would have to agree...WATER has made me much better! I couldn't believe that the answer was so simple...but it seriously has done wonders and I am so happy.
However I will also concur that I'm not perfect, nor am I at the same level of physical or mental health as I was before the ED... I definitely get more bloating, heartburn, and indigestion than I used to. And now that I have suffered bad ulcers once I am more prone to them again, so I try to be extra careful.

I hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread