It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

fitness1 HB User
Feeling anxious at meal time...any suggestions

After recovering from extreme dieting and excercise to lose weight, I find I feel very anxious around food, when I make my meals and eat them. I also am constientely thinking about my next meal, what is in my food and how good it is for me/how many calories are in it. Its kind of an annoying habit because I am constitently thinking about food and sometimes feel very overwhelmed by it. Does any one have any advice on some strategies that could help me and get over this food anxiety I have?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Feeling anxious at meal time...any suggestions

Hello fitness,

Have you considered seeing a therapist specializing in eating disorders?

They may be able to help alter your thought patterns with respect to food.

I was perusing your other post which stated using birth control pills caused weight loss.

Was it a combination of this,along with the dieting and exercise?

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 07-08-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
(female)

fitness1 HB User

Thanks for your advice Pheonix. As for question, it wasn't so much the birth control caused weightloss but I started birthcontrol right when I began you lose weight. But yes, it was a combination of all three things. What do you think?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

You're welcome.

My advice would also include entertaining the possibility of seeing a nutritionist that deals with eating disorders.

There you can discuss your dietary concerns and have comprise a indiividual meal plan to fit your specific nutritional needs.

Nutritional work includes separating food intake and weight related behaviors from feelings and emotional issues.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I'm the same way. I like to know well in advance what I will be eating. If I cannot plan ahead I get very anxious (and angry). Going to friends parties or family dinners, etc. is extremely difficult when I don't know what will be served. When faced with certain meals I have a hard time too, especially after eating them. I like to control exactly what I eat. It can be very difficult at times.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
(female)

fitness1 HB User

That is how I feel exactly. Both angry and anxious. Because I want it to be as healthy as possible, and with as little added/unhealthy fat. I don't know about you, but I also get anxious that people will judge what I do/do not eat. Some times I also feel overwhelmed when it comes down to what I would like to have to eat too. Have you tried to cope with this at all?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

If I'm going to a family or friend party I usually bring a veggie appetizer - like carrot and celery sticks. That helps because I know I'll have something "safe" to eat. I tend to drive the poor hosts nuts though by begging to know what's on the menu before the event!

Other times I've had to just grin and bear it. I remind myself that it's just one day. A therapist taught me to look at the broader picture. When I tended to focus solely on one pending event, he said to try to remember that it's just one day. Try to think of something good you have planned in your future that will occur after the family/friend party.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
(female)

Miss Florida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
If I'm going to a family or friend party I usually bring a veggie appetizer - like carrot and celery sticks. That helps because I know I'll have something "safe" to eat. I tend to drive the poor hosts nuts though by begging to know what's on the menu before the event!

Other times I've had to just grin and bear it. I remind myself that it's just one day. A therapist taught me to look at the broader picture. When I tended to focus solely on one pending event, he said to try to remember that it's just one day. Try to think of something good you have planned in your future that will occur after the family/friend party.
Hi MariaBB!

I completely understand! I always have to know what's on the menu before I go to someone's house. It's odd because I will start off as not eating anything, or maybe a little "healthy" something, and once everyone is finished....I start eating everything in sight. I don't understand why that is. I feel so defeated afterwards, but then I promise myself I will never do that again. UGH! So frustrating.

Miss Florida

Last edited by Miss Florida; 07-20-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

fitness1 HB User

Looking at a situation like that in a wider perspective is good advice. Thank you. Plus, I find that if I don't want to eat some one's food, but I know I won't be able to eat what I want for a while, I will eat the food thats there so I won't get tired and weak and even more grumpy. That perspective has increasingly worked for me. Maybe try it for yourself?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Thanks for the suggestion Fitness. This is a good thread!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
(female)

Fleura HB User

I have just been put on Buspar for mealtime anxiety. Non-addiciting/habit-forming.

But other than medicine, there are things you can do to create a peaceful environment surrounding the meal (physically and time-wise). Such as a relaxing CD, deep breathing, journaling before and after meals, etc. Find what works for you.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I had to follow my own advice last weekend. I went to a wedding and reception and felt very anxious all week because I didn't know what they would be serving for dinner (ended up being a buffet that included healthy choices). All week I was reminding myself that after the wedding everything would go back to normal. I focused on that and made it through OK.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Oops - I double posted.

Last edited by MariaBB; 08-11-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Closed Thread