It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
(female)

erlybirdy HB User
Question Middle-age bulimia

Hello, all. I am new to this message board. I am over 50 years old and have been bulimic since I was in my early twenties. I consider myself perhaps the World's Oldest Living Bulimic. It's okay to be amused by that. A sense of humor is necessary to survival on this planet.

Anyway, my question is: Is anybody out there middle-aged and still struggling with bulimia?

Thanks,
erlybirdy

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: erlybirdy
Phoenix (07-14-2011), slenderella (07-17-2011), SlimPix (07-20-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Middle-age bulimia

Hello erlybirdy,

Welcome to the boards.

I rarely smile or laugh these days but noticed the corners of my mouth beginning to curl upwards.

I'm in my 40's and have been to OA (Overeaters Anonymous) meetings where several women were in their 60's and 70's.

Take it from me,you're not alone.

Personally stated,
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
(female)

erlybirdy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hello erlybirdy,

Welcome to the boards.

I rarely smile or laugh these days but noticed the corners of my mouth beginning to curl upwards.

I'm in my 40's and have been to OA (Overeaters Anonymous) meetings where several women were in their 60's and 70's.

Take it from me,you're not alone.

Personally stated,
Phoenix
Thanks for your response, Phoenix. It's good to know others are out there. You said you rarely smile or laugh... if you don't mind me asking, why? I understand if you'd rather not say. (Another of my issues is believing everyone should be happy and it's up to me to make that happen. lol)

Peace,
erlybirdy

Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlybirdy View Post
Thanks for your response, Phoenix. It's good to know others are out there. You said you rarely smile or laugh... if you don't mind me asking, why? I understand if you'd rather not say. (Another of my issues is believing everyone should be happy and it's up to me to make that happen. lol)

Peace,
erlybirdy
You're welcome erlybirdy.

Long story short,bulimia is not the only disorder i'm plagued with.

My ED began in early childhood and would surface from time to time through adulthood.

From 2000-2005, I was episode free;until I was involved in a motor vehicle accident in late 2005.

My ED decided to resurface with a vengeance and continues to this day.

Let's just say that life hasn't been the same since then.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 07-17-2011 at 07:03 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
slenderella (07-17-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

Hi there, I'm close to 50, I've been in treatment and there is a running group that I've been in and there are several women that are older than myself in that group. You're not alone in this struggle.

What I'd like to say, most importantly though, is that you can recover. You don't have to struggle with this for the rest of your life. I've struggled for years, and years, with anorexia and bulimia, but have found hope and freedom. I'm sending healing thoughts your way.

Cup of Coffee

The following user gives a hug of support to Cup of coffee:
slenderella (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

Yes and no. I recovered at age 50 after over 30 yrs of severe bulimia. I am now nearly 62 and have not had a recurrence. Cravings have been gone for many yrs and I weigh less than I ever have.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I'm 41 and in recovery from an ED. More of a restrictor, and while I've never binged I shamefully admit I have purged. You are not alone here.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
(female)

Cartouche HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlybirdy View Post
Hello, all. I am new to this message board. I am over 50 years old and have been bulimic since I was in my early twenties. I consider myself perhaps the World's Oldest Living Bulimic. It's okay to be amused by that. A sense of humor is necessary to survival on this planet.

Anyway, my question is: Is anybody out there middle-aged and still struggling with bulimia?

Thanks,
erlybirdy
I too am a long term bulimic. Started at 13 and now 47 years old. I tried cbt a few years back but it only helped for a few months. I use binging and purging to control my emotions rather than my weight...though that too. I have little hope that i can change such ingrained habits. Am i too pessimistic?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
(female)

PumpkinSSGirl HB User

I am a 37 year old mother of 4. I have struggled with bulimia and anorexia since I was 14. I still have relapses from time to time and I am currently going through one now. I am so disappointed in myself because I am better than this and I want to be a good example to my three girls, one of which is currently in inpatient treatment for anorexia and bulimia. I guess I have not battled my demons completely and gotten ahold of the triggers. I just quit smoking recently and gained weight...I almost find myself thinking that I would rather die from lung cancer than to be fat again. This is so very unhealthy... I know it is! I am just not strong enough right now. I feel like a failure as a mother and as a wife.... I don't know what to do....but I know that even knowing all of this, I will not stop making myself throw up and comstantly taking diet pills.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
(female)

Cartouche HB User

Does any one have any ideas what differences there are between middle aged bulimia and teenage bulimia? Are the cures different?
I think as a teenager i thought being thin would make me beautiful and loved. Today i know i will never be beautiful....good for my age is the best i can hope for. I am 47. I also know that being really thin would actually make me look older than my age. I truly cannot see why i really want to be thin. Is it just a habit now? It seems that there are so many triggers now that trying to avoid them is impossible. I do it when i am angry, bored, irritated. But also when i am having a good time eg a party. Sometimes once a week, sometimes three times a day. I can make myself throw up with minimal effort...no fingers down the throat. So many years of practice! My teeth are fine, blood tests show no defficiencies. Although of courwe i do not know what it has done to my heart muscle.

I want to stop but i do not know what to try. Over the years i tried group therapy and cbt. Neither works for more than a few weeks. Do not want to see a shrink (i live in a foreign country and my knowledge of the language is not sufficient). Any suggestions?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
(female)

dogcito HB Userdogcito HB User

Hi
I'm 51 and I've had anorexia but that finished in my 20s and I've still got ~bulimia although not every day. More info on my post Any 50yr olds out there....
There are a few of us. I know a 70 yr old. Also a family with eating disorders.

You are not alone.

Take care

The Following User Says Thank You to dogcito For This Useful Post:
Cartouche (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
(female)

Cartouche HB User

I thought I would like to share with you my recent experience. I started 20mg of Prozac on July 5 this year and have only binged and purged once since then...and that was the first day. After being bulimic for 35 years I suddenly lost the urge. Although I suspect there is some placebo effect, I am now convinced the urges were chemically induced. I cannot fully comprehend it but as you can imagine I am thrilled. I only wished I'd sought that kind of help 30 years ago.
I know this will not work for everyone and that I still have many emotional issues to sort out but if it can encourage you to seek the help there is out there I will be very happy for you.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
(female)

dogcito HB Userdogcito HB User

MY POINT OF VIEW ON PROZAC AND EATING DISORDERS
I am so glad you are keeping better. I think there are different reasons why we have it. Personally I think it's mental, emotional and physical. Despite what people/media may say I find Prozac 20mg to be a very helpful drug. More MG and I feel drugged up.I used to let people tell me it was dangerous and felt guilty about taking it. Now I dont listen it's always people who DO NOT NEED MEDICATION/or have few problems in life that say it. One of my friends has had a very hard life and she says as soon as the big problems occur she takes it for a while so that she can keep functioning because falling to pieces never helps. she has never experienced any of the scary side effects that the 'media' talks about! I also have had none.
So if it stops you being bulimic take it! It's fine trying to go without medication in your 20s etc. if you're in therapy. But at 51 when you've more years behind you than in front of you. If it helps take it - there's no point not! Frankly i expect to be on some from of anti-depressant all my life.
I know some alcoholics and they say they have to take medication when they stop drinking permanently. It's better than being on alcohol!
MY ANSWER to anyone who criticises medication for addictions i:
Would you tell a schizophrenic/manic depressive not to take medication?? they nev
er have an answer!!
Good Luck and thanks

Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
(female)

ludovica HB User

HI. I am Italian writing from Rome

Excuse my English !
I am 39 and bulimic since I was 16. It all started with a stupid diet.

I hate this disease! The only idea that I literally threw my life in the toilet depresses me even more.

I should seek help but I am too ashamed to tell any one...and I am too ashamed to tell any one that I kept this secret for over 20 years.

I dont' eat/purge because concerned of weight. I used to to do that until I was maybe 28. Now I "only" binge/purge - maybe once a month - to cope with anxiety or sadness or loneliness...with feelings in general

The idea to stay ill until my 70's kills me...

Last edited by ludovica; 09-07-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
(female)

Cartouche HB User

Buongiorno
I feel for you. Getting help was the most difficult and scary thing. I made appointment to doctor. I walked in and was unable to sit or start talking. Eventually I started pacing up and down the room and without looking a him I said: "I have no physical illness but a mental problem! I have been bulimic for the last 35 years. I started at age 13 and apart from a couple periods in my life (pregnancies) it has always been part of me."

If you can find it in you to seek help go for it. It will probably be one of the most courageous thing you will ever do.

Keep me informed.
Ciao

Reply Reply