It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
(female)

xoannaox HB User
Weird/Intense Cravings

I was hospitalized earlier this year for anorexia (Jan/Feb). I weighed 85 lbs (I'm 5'6), got up to 107, and have been stable betweem 105 and 110 since.

However, over the past few months I've begun having abnormal, constant cravings for weird foods. Mostly salty....black olives, vegetables with dressing, pickes, tomatoes with salt....I'm talking URGENT cravings, at least twice a day.

People in my family have been known to devour entire jars of olives or pickles at once...I frequently did when I was a kid....but this has been very sudden/out-of-nowhere.

Other than some acid reflux, I usually feel better after eating these things. Amazingly, not dehydrated.

Thoughts??

Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
(female)

SadieBB HB User
Re: Weird/Intense Cravings

It sounds like you have come a long way since the beginning of the year. I know that gaining and maintaining the weight was not easy, but you have done it. Good for you!!!

I cannot give you a medical explanation for the cravings, but I have heard of people with EDs experiencing them in recovery. I do not recall craving any specific foods myself, but I do recall being hungry ALL the time when my body was getting used to being fed again. My non-medically based hypothesis would be that your body is calling out for some nutrient that it has been lacking--sounds like sodium, in your case. Have you been seeing a medical doctor throughout your recovery? Or a nutritionist? My suggestion would be to ask one of these two professionals, just to be safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
(female)

xoannaox HB User

I haven't been seeing a nutritionist, unfortunately. Not that I need to...I've been into dieting since I was very young, so I know all about portion sizes, daily recommended intake, etc. (I HAVE been seeing a therapist and weighing myself all the time of course.)

I mostly ate fruit and candy while I was sick, so I suppose it makes sense that my body is demanding salty/savory things now! The salt cravings are frequently paired with protein cravings.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoannaox View Post
However, over the past few months I've begun having abnormal, constant cravings for weird foods. Mostly salty....black olives, vegetables with dressing, pickes, tomatoes with salt....I'm talking URGENT cravings, at least twice a day.

People in my family have been known to devour entire jars of olives or pickles at once...I frequently did when I was a kid.

Thoughts??
Hello x,

Some people,when faced with particular situations,resort to learned behavior from childhood as a coping mechanism.

When there aren't any other preventative tools in place,reverting back not only becomes an option but a necessity.

When hospitalized,you didn't see a nutritionist?

Nutritionists can prepare regimines for your daily consumption,educate you on the basic food groups and help explain certain symptoms experienced,as a result of an inadequate dietary intake.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
(female)

Beeze HB User

I know you posted this like 4 months back, but your thread caught my eye!

When I saw a nutritionist a few years back she told me that the craving for salty foods is your body actually asking for water. when you're dehydrated your body will crave salty foods so that you will then crave water, which is what your body is essentially asking for to begin with.

Closed Thread