It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

ladybug2203 HB User
Anyone ever been told that being fat isn't that bad?

I'm currently being treated for bulimia, my therapist recommended a book "the rules of normal eating" while it has some good stuff in it, one thing that really irks me is that it says stuff like "your life isn't better just because your thin" or "being fat isn't all that bad" "it's okay to gain weight" etc, clearly this author has never been overweight because these are all a bunch of LIES....I'm not even underweight so it's not medically necessary for me to gain weight (most bulimics are a normal weight).

Yes I am terrified of getting fat but my fear is not entirely unfounded, I was "the fat kid" in class. I'm not kidding, I weigh the same as I did in second grade (I'm currently 5'3 120 lbs). At my heaviest I was 11 years old 4'9 152 lbs (that's ALOT for someone who is 4'9!). Alot of women with eating disorders the fat fear is all in their head, I really WAS heavy at one point in time. I was tormented by my classmates every single day even if I God forbid ate so much as an apple, I played by myself every single day, couldn't get the clothes I wanted, the only attention I'd get from boys was a hurtful remark, and I had virtually no friends. I spent four summers at fat camp trying to take care of the problem, I first went away from home when I was eleven and that was rough. I went for six weeks, a long time for an eleven year old. At fat camp the diet and exercise wasn't really the hard part, it was my fellow campers. See I was fat b/c I had a slow metabolism and big appetite (I never had that "childhood metabolism), they were fat due to psychiatric medications. They had severe emotional problems, personality and psychiatric disorders galore (that the camp was really not equipped to handle) so they made my time there a living hell. (Typical breeders dropping of their psychotic crotch dumplings where they don't belong so they can go on a carribean cruise).

I know this isn't PC but being thin DOES make your life better. I'm sorry but it does (I know b/c I've been on both ends of the spectrum), yes bulimia sucks but being fat is far worse. You get more friends, a more active social life, better boyfriends (or girlfriends), better clothes, and your more likely to get promotions at work. It's sad but true.

So really I pity the fool who dares to tell me that being fat isn't all that bad

Sorry I'm done my rant now, that book just really ****** me off I was seriously ready to chug that thing out the window!

Anyone else ever been told these lies?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ladybug2203
janewhite1 (09-05-2011), Phoenix (09-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Anyone ever been told that being fat isn't that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug2203 View Post
I'm currently being treated for bulimia, my therapist recommended a book "the rules of normal eating" while it has some good stuff in it, one thing that really irks me is that it says stuff like "your life isn't better just because your thin" or "being fat isn't all that bad" "it's okay to gain weight" etc,

I know this isn't PC but being thin DOES make your life better. I'm sorry but it does (I know b/c I've been on both ends of the spectrum), yes bulimia sucks but being fat is far worse.

So really I pity the fool who dares to tell me that being fat isn't all that bad

Sorry I'm done my rant now, that book just really ****** me off I was seriously ready to chug that thing out the window!

Anyone else ever been told these lies?
Hello ladybug,

As I don't view myself as a fool(although the song states everybody plays the fool,sometimes) please allow me to say this with the utmost of respect.

I also suffer from bulimia and am wondering if the author was trying to convey that being overweight isn't an obstacle unless perceived as such.

There are many overweight people that I have come across that are just comfortable in being(as they put it) big boned.

They accept it and use it to their advantage;never looking back at the negative aspects,with respect to health.

While some people are inherantly thin,others aren't.

It's society that dictates in the mass media circles that "thin is in."

The brainwashing of this concept goes along the lines of fashion,etc.

People are telling people what they should wear.

Nothing against the designers but i'll make my decisions solely on my personal likes and dislikes.

That's just how I roll....

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-05-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

ladybug2203 HB User

Thanks Phoenix. While I appreciate your response, I am not happy being bigger. I mean if people are ok with it more power to them, but I don't believe that people "just have to" be big, but I had a horrible experience with being overweight and in my experience you DO get more respect when your thin. And I shouldn't have to be overweight. I just hope I can live without bulimia and not be overweight.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug2203 View Post
Thanks Phoenix. While I appreciate your response, I am not happy being bigger. I mean if people are ok with it more power to them, but I don't believe that people "just have to" be big, but I had a horrible experience with being overweight and in my experience you DO get more respect when your thin. And I shouldn't have to be overweight. I just hope I can live without bulimia and not be overweight.
I understand your situation and both sympathize and empathize.

They don't have to be big....there are also exceptions like people with glandular problems and medications causing side effects....

It's not that you get more respect but rather more attention is drawn towards the thin person....

Know that a person doesn't have to like you to respect you.

In saying that,you need to know that i'm pulling for you because I fully understand the cyclical menace that is bulimia.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-05-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Believe it or not, many people with eating disorders have been genuinely overweight in the past. Sometimes eating disorders begin with an attempt at moderate, beneficial weight loss.

I know, young children can be amazingly cruel to each other. Believe me, I've been there. (Adults are usually a bit better behaved, but unfortunately anti-fat prejudice does exist.)

I would discuss this with your therapist the next time you talk to her. Clearly these past experiences are still affecting you a lot.

Closed Thread