It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

J1122 HB User
Smile Bulimia & depression- will luvox help?

Hi. Am new to this. I have had a long 10 yr struggle with bulimia and depression. Docotor has prescribed many appetite suppressants in past. Recently given luvox prescription- I am concerned I will gain weight however? Can anyone tell me of weight gain or loss with luvox. Thanku

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Bulimia & depression- will luvox help?

Hello J1122,

Different meds present specific symptoms in some and not in others.

There really is no way of knowing whether or not you will gain weight.

I truly hope that you have success with this prescription,as it is designed to help treat both depression and bulimia.

Have you considered seeing a therapist?

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
(female)

KozmikGirl HB User
Re: Bulimia & depression- will luvox help?

I took Luvox for many years for depression. I wasn't really aware at that time that I was Bulimic & was still actively participating in Bulimia during the course of my years on Luvox.

Yes, I did gain a lot of weight on Luvox. But that's me. I have a friend who has taken it with only a small weight gain. But we both did gain weight. I guess it depends on the person. I would say give it a try, but just be be very mindful of any weight gain.

However, the hardest part was getting OFF Luvox. Once it stopped helping with my depression (after years of being helpful) I wanted to try something else but the withdrawals were really bad & I was sick for a very long time. Then I went on Paxil & it was the same thing. Getting off Paxil I had 52 days of withdrawals! So, just be careful. But everyone is different & I am very sensitive to medications but still wanted to put my two cents in

Now I'm taking Klonopin & that helps my anxiety enough that I'm not really depressed like before. It's like the anxiety was triggering me to be depressed. And no weight gain with Klonopin at all. No side effects. No withdrawals if I forget to take it. My miracle med!

Good luck to you. It is really hard & could take a long time to find just the right med that will work for you. I hope you find one that works soon (or already have since it's been awhile since you posted this hopefully you are doing well).

Closed Thread