It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
(female)

pixie06 HB User
Someone commented on my body and now it wont leave my head :(

The other day at work, i was wearing heels and a dress (i work in an office) and one of the ladies i work with commented on how nice I looked and how much 'slimmer' i looked.

So joking around i said back to her 'Ohh thanks, what do i look like all other times then?'

And she said - ' Well when you wear leggings and flats you look a bit more.. you know.. frumpier.'

I literally burst out crying.

Has anyone else reacted like this during recovary?

Its really hard to get used to your body yourself, let alone outsiders commenting on it.

Now this comment wont stop circling around in my head and i feel like im moving slower and slower. With my mental side of things.

Im not mad at her because she wasnt to know, and she said sorry and said i look beautiful all of the time.

But it doesnt help the way i feel about it all.

Now i go to work in heels and dresses all of the time!!

anyone else relate?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
(female)

Akt22 HB User
Re: Someone commented on my body and now it wont leave my head :(

It's easy for anyone to say just forget about it. But it's not that easy is it? In my experience, people who say garbage like that have their own insecurities. She was probably just jealous that you look better than her everyday, not just in heels!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #3
(female)

pixie06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akt22 View Post
It's easy for anyone to say just forget about it. But it's not that easy is it? In my experience, people who say garbage like that have their own insecurities. She was probably just jealous that you look better than her everyday, not just in heels!

I doubht it! Haha, but obviously I am going to say that aren't I.
Just upset me a lot because of my silly head.
Oh well.

Thank you

Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

Beeze HB User

I have been in those situations before with the last time I tried to recover. Something as simple as "You are looking so good!" after you have put on a few pounds can sound like "You are looking so fat!"
Isn't it sucky how a compliment can be manipulated by our eating disorders to sounds like an insult?
I am sure this woman meant no harm to you, and she probably WAS trying to give you a compliment. It makes a lot of sense too if she doesn't know you well and doesn't know that you are struggling with an eating disorder.
Others dont' realise the affect their words have on us, because it's our own minds that manipulate them into something else.
I hope you're feeling better girl.

Beeze

Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
(male)

Starwars Jim HB User

people will give "left handed" compliments which are really insults in order to feel better about themselves. I have a poster on my wall and it has 100 ways to say F***K Y*U and when ever someone trys to **** on my parad I just smile and think of a new phrase.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
(female)

ghostofdella HB User

Why do her views mean more, hold more weight, demand adherence, than do your views?
Especially when we know that it's only an opinion or a personal view. Views and opinions vary so much. Some people love the way flats and leggings look and others don't.

Why do we think we need to please others? IDK
Why do some comments cut so deep when we know that they weren't meant to? IDK

My poor husband can say a thousand nice things to me and one negative and that negative makes me think that this is what he really feels and would say more often if he felt uninhibited. I don't even dare tell him this. That would just add to his stress and to my list of imperfections.

Last edited by ghostofdella; 12-11-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Closed Thread