It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Purging Disorder

For years, I always thought I couldn't possibly have bulimia because I never binged. Therefore, I lied to myself that I couldn't possibly have an ED. Yet I had the results from an ED with my body and my teeth!

But oh my! When I found this online just now it describes me perfectly. I guess what I had or maybe still have (like an alcoholic) was a Purging Disorder. I do low carb and it has helped me gain control over my eating and no longer have the urge to purge as I once did. I never binged but did as the paragraph below describes. I did this for over 30 years. The reason why I in my head compare myself to an alcoholic is I fear if I ever stopped eating "Atkins or low carb" I would fall back into my old habits. I seriously feel I was slowly killing myself. That eating low carb has saved my life. If you really knew me you would know that I never EVER eat high carb foods. I am so diligent that if there was only high carb foods offered I just don't eat and wait till I get home. I have been free from this disorder for almost 8 years. Yet if I am honest at times I still feel the urge to purge but don't.

A Description of Purging Disorder
Because purging disorder has not been specifically delineated within the most recent DSM or in the International Classification of Diseases, there is no officially recognized definition for it. Thus, different studies of the condition have employed different inclusion and exclusion criteria. However, past definitions have all included certain features.

First, individuals with purging disorder regularly use self-induced vomiting, laxatives, diuretics or other extreme methods to control their weight or shape.

Second, individuals with purging disorder are not significantly underweight. Instead, they typically fall within a normal weight range, with a minimum body mass index (BMI) above 18.5 kg/m2 and body weight greater than 85% of that expected for their height and age. Although these patients tend not to be overweight, they may have a history of higher weight.

Third, individuals with purging disorder do not have large, out-of-control binge-eating episodes. There may be times when they feel they have eaten too much and experience a loss of control over their eating. However, the amount of food consumed during these episodes is not more than what most people would eat under similar circumstances. For example, a person with purging disorder may go out to a restaurant with friends and share an appetizer and eat most of an entree and then feel compelled to purgeóin spite of the fact that she didn't eat any more than her friends did.

Fourth, individuals with purging disorder have significant body image disturbances, including an undue influence of weight and shape on self-evaluation, an intense desire to lose weight, and intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat. These individuals commonly describe high levels of dietary restriction that are periodically interrupted when they eat what most people would consider a snack or meal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread