It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

Musikal HB User
Help with diagnosis, please.

I'm a 17 year old male who has been really struggling to live a normal lifestyle for over a year now. I've been to see my GP twice and been to the hospital for throat checks. I'll run you through a normal day in my life to give you a better picture:

- Wake up with dry mouth and bad taste, drink around 300ml of water
- Get up, often feel nauseous and will sometimes vomit up the water
- Won't eat breakfast, feel too crappy to even comprehend food
- Maybe manage some fruit around 2 hours after getting up
- Usually have a sandwich for dinner
- Drink all sorts of soft drinks and water until tea time
- Have a comfortable tea.

Throughout the day I drink as much water as I can. I can easily drink 2 litres by 3 in the afternoon. I think I'm addicted to water and soft drinks. I buy one every time I go in a shop and after everything I eat.

I very rarely have an appetite where I want to eat a meal. I usually have to remind myself to eat, it's a struggle. If there is no bottled water in the house, I simply can't eat anything but fruit. I would probably die if I didn't have bottled water because I simply can't eat or develop an appetite without it.

My life revolves around drinks. Even when I'm hungry and enjoying a meal, my main priority is a nice soft drink once I've done. Over the course of the day I'll usually have: 2-3 litres of water, 500ml-1ltr of milk, morning fruit juice and 2-3 soft drinks over the course of the day.

Without water, I can't eat, I'll just be sick if I try.

Please help me, than you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Help with diagnosis, please.

Hi,

You mentioned having a lack of appetite, but didn't mention experiencing any of the psychological strains with having an eating disorder.

It seems as though you are using the word anorexia in medical terms only.

UNLESS you are purposely drinking liquids excessively to avoid eating or gaining weight.

Have you had any medical tests done like an endoscopy or have the doctors mentioned gastritis, acid reflux or an ulcer?

I have dry mouth, nausea, feel full really fast, acid reflux and lethargy because I have gastritis and an eating disorder.

If you think you have an eating disorder you can take a free online questionnaire.

Good Luck!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
(male)

Musikal HB User

I don't do any of the above because I have concerns over weight or appearance. I don't know why I have to drink so much.

My GP has said I've had gastric problems so i took some movicol to ease the bowels. It still doesn't give me a reason as to why I drink so much though. Sometimes it's because I feel empty but I dont want to eat because I'll feel sick so liquid fills me up.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User

Get a referral to see a gastrologist, not a regular GP. You need a diagnosis because these problems could escalate.

You should also try to give up the soft drinks, caffeine and tea. The carbonation and caffeine irritates the stomach lining and causes problems. I think it's not the liquids that are causing the problems, but the kind of liquids you drinking.

If you have gastric problems, look up the diet restrictions for gastritis.

Last edited by aileb; 02-08-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Closed Thread