It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

Betty228 HB User
abusing laxatives for about 10 years

Hello! I have been using laxatives for about 10 years and now I don't know how to get off them. I really want to be a normal person again. I want to have a normal life and sleep all night long without getting up to go to the bathroom. I'm afraid that if I stop using them I will never go to the bathroom again, or that I will be constipated. I hate laxatives and want to get off them so bad, I just don't know how to start or what to do. I know I will get bloated and I'm afraid of that, I don't want to feel bloated for a whole month or more. I also would like to know what I need to eat, and I guess I need to learn how to structure eating again...

Also, I want to have babies within a year or so, I want to be strong and healthy and never ever ever use laxatives again. I am 31 now, I feel like I've wasted so many years of my life with those horrible pills. (I used the bisacodyl, like dulcolax and ex lax stimulant laxatives).

Please I need help, any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Help laxative abuse recovery!!!

I want to say congrats for making the decision to quit laxatives! I also use to abuse them for years and I never wanted to quit them for the same reason.

When you quit them, you are going to feel uncomfortable and experience bloating for a while. There is no way avoid it. BUT, it really helps if you keep reminding yourself that it's only temporary ( a couple of months).

You have two choices:
A) feel uncomfortable for a couple of months, recover and never have to pray that you won't pass out.

b) continue to abuse laxatives for the next 70+ years, pass out, sleepless nights, and keep getting sicker.

I know that it's going to be very embarrassing but I would really encourage you to see a doctor so you can properly decrease the dosage and get the correct amount of fiber. Do you think you would be willing to see a doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
(female)

Betty228 HB User

Hi!! Thanks for the reply! Well, yes I'm willing to see a doctor. I also reduced drastically the amount of laxative pills I take. I know I can do this!! I'm just afraid of being bloated for too long and to gain weight, but I want to be normal again!!!

How long ago did you quit? AlsO, for how long were you bloated and did you gain weight?
I know I need to eat lots of fiber and drink lots of water, but what about protein intake?? What should I eat? I'm also going to buy probiotics and metamucil. I read that those 2 things combined can help through recovery.
Do you think I'll be normal again??

Sorry for so many questions!!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
(female)

I took them on and off for six years and it took me about a whole semester to quit them. I would quit them and then freak out because I was bloated (and it felt like weight gain) and then I would go back on them.

I finally quit them because I passed out and split my chin after only taking two.
It was very embarrassing having to go to a regular gp and getting stitches.

I would be careful with starting off with lots of fiber and taking metamucil. Some people have posted that both those things caused problems. I also tried metamucil and it made everything worse.

Then, I was referred to a doctor of internal medicine and a gastro doctor and both doctors agree that I should stick to the normal fiber intake and take miralax.

At first, I was on the full dosage of the miralax and then I went down to half a dosage. The gastro doctor said it would be ok for me to take half a dosage daily.

At the time, I had to regain weight so it made everything more difficult. I did stick to the protein ranges and gradually got my fat intake in the normal range.

I do think recovery is possible.. I hope you posting with your progress!!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

I took them on and off for six years and it took me about a whole semester to quit them. I would quit them and then freak out because I was bloated (and it felt like weight gain) and then I would go back on them.

I finally quit them because I passed out and split my chin after only taking two.
It was very embarrassing having to go to a regular gp and getting stitches.

I would be careful with starting off with lots of fiber and taking metamucil. Some people have posted that both those things caused problems. I also tried metamucil and it made everything worse.

Then, I was referred to a doctor of internal medicine and a gastro doctor and both doctors agree that I should stick to the normal fiber intake and take miralax.

At first, I was on the full dosage of the miralax and then I went down to half a dosage. The gastro doctor said it would be ok for me to take half a dosage daily.

At the time, I had to regain weight so it made everything more difficult. I did stick to the protein ranges and gradually got my fat intake in the normal range.

I do think recovery is possible.. I hope you posting with your progress!!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello Betty228,

Might I suggest you see a nutritionist,in order to help place you on an ideal diet regimen.

Keep your positive attitude and it will help you through any rough points.

Take small steps and remember that neither Rome nor your disorder were created in a day.You'll be fine.

Sending positive vibes your way.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 02-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
(female)

Betty228 HB User

Hi! Both of you thanx!! I can't wait to be completely of this things!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
(female)

Betty228 HB User

Hello again!!! I've been trying to get off laxatives, but this bloating stage sucks!! I don't know what to do!! I feel horrible!!! I wonder if I have gain weight!! :-(

Please any advise!! Will this stage last for too long??

Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
(female)

snowyjo HB User

Hello,

You need to trust me You can get better. I would suggest the sooner the better. It's been years since I've taken laxatives. Now I have two little boys. Your motivation should be wanting to have children.

You MUST follow a strict diet of high fiber foods and lots of liquids.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-20-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
(female)

snowyjo HB User
Re: Laxative abuse recovery

I think you will need to go cold turkey. My therapist tried to ween me off, but it didn't work. Once you have your first bowel movement on your own you'll be so happy... I know I was. I think it took 5 days for me, but it could be a little more or less depending on the person. I wish you good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 03-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
(female)

Betty228 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyjo View Post
Hello,

You need to trust me You can get better. I would suggest the sooner the better. It's been years since I've taken laxatives. Now I have two little boys. Your motivation should be wanting to have children.

You MUST follow a strict diet of high fiber foods and lots of liquids.

Hello Snowyjo!!! Thanks for your advise! I read your post when you first posted it and it said something about a diet plan that you had! I was looking for it and now I can't find it!! I need help with the diet!

Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
(female)

hopefulgirlny HB User

Hi Betty, today is my 2nd day without laxatives and I had a bowel movement! I have been abusing laxatives for about 11 years now, usually taking anywhere from 24-60 extra strength bisocodyl ones. In the past I tried to quit, but just like you, I always went back because I was scared of gaining (or FEELING like I gained) weight and scared that I couldn't have a bowel movement without them. I slowly started decreasing my daily intake, first to just 12 a day (one sheet), then 6, then 3, then 1, now none. I began taking probiotics and extra fiber and I'm trying to drink a lot of water. I really think the probiotics are helping. I honestly don't feel too bloated right now and I am beyond happy that I was able to go some today (granted it was not that much, but it without laxies!).
Good luck to you with all of this. I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through.

The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulgirlny For This Useful Post:
Betty228 (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
(female)

Betty228 HB User

Hello! I'm so happy for you!! I'm a little scared, but I need to get over that! I know that I'm going to be just fine. I have to buy the priobiotics and follow a healthier diet full of fiber, and drink lots of water. What scares me the most is being bloated, feeling like I've gained weight, feeling my clothes tight... If you are doing good and other ppl have done it, then why not me!!
Anyhow, how are u today?? Please keep me posted with your progress!!
Good luck!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Betty228 For This Useful Post:
hopefulgirlny (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
(female)

hopefulgirlny HB User

Yes, I believe you can do it! I was able to go a little this morning as well (right after I wake up seems to be the time my body wants to). I feel a little bloated today, as my husband brought home pizza and I ate some, but honestly not too bad. I had a fleeting thought of getting some after I ate, but it passed quickly. I'm continuing to take my probiotics, fiber, and water. I really believe you can do it! If I can, you can! Please keep me updated to how your doing and good luck!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
(female)

Betty228 HB User

Hello! How are you doing? Are you keeping it up?! Hopefully yes! I'm having a little hard time quitting them, I'm starting to do what you did, everyday I take 10 pills less... I hope that works! I want to be completely off them by the summer, I hate those evil pills and I hate how they destroy our lives!! Well hope you are doing good!! Plase keep me posted!! Take care!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Betty228 For This Useful Post:
hopefulgirlny (04-24-2012)
Reply Reply