It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User
constipation/bloating/feeling of fullness

when you start to recover from being anorexic, does the constipation/bloating/feeling of fullness ever go away? do you ever go back to normal like how you were before your anorexia got bad? anyone have any success stories?

Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: constipation/bloating/feeling of fullness

The bloating eventually went away, after almost half a year, but the feeling of fullness didn't get any better. It turns out I had an ulcer!

Keep tabs of when you started recovery and all your symptoms. If they don't get better go see a doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileb View Post
The bloating eventually went away, after almost half a year, but the feeling of fullness didn't get any better. It turns out I had an ulcer!

Keep tabs of when you started recovery and all your symptoms. If they don't get better go see a doc.

I dont think i have an ulcer, I've had all kinds of tests, im sorry this happened to you was it caused by your ED? Well with me the bloating and feeling of fullness and constipation started one day out of nowhere after i was restricting for about 18 months. i continued to restrict for another 4 months til i figured out that was what was probly causing the symptoms. i started eating 8 months ago. so it's been 8 months of me eating everyday basically like a normal person and none of this bloating feeling full or constipation has gone away at all! why wont my body go back to normal?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
(female)

coolleen7 HB User

I have been recovered for several years, and the bloating did go away after the first year.

good luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
(female)

Why does it happen is it because the digestion slowed down to adjust to the lack or food? or because the organs stop producing digestive enzymes?

i really want it to go away...

Old 05-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

coolleen7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Metal View Post
Why does it happen is it because the digestion slowed down to adjust to the lack or food? or because the organs stop producing digestive enzymes?

i really want it to go away...
It is from the new chemical reactions in your body.
I found this link helpful:

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/recovering-anorexia-what-expect

"[bloating]is a normal reaction to increasing your food intake following a prolonged period of under-consumption. As you eat, produced insulin helps re-balance minerals, like potassium and phosphorus, inside your body cells in order to make energy. Water shifts in this process too, thus leading to a water-retaining bloated feeling. However, after you've been eating a balanced diet for a while, your electrolytes should stabilize and the bloating should subside."

Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
(female)

does the electrolyte inbalance cause constipation too? they don't seem to go hand in hand, i am bloated whether i am constipated or not...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
(female)

coolleen7 HB User

I think that the constipation is just because your body is not used to the food that it now has, so digestion is very very slow. When there is not a lot of food to digest, it slows everything down, therefore your metabolism and the inner workings of your body get stopped up.

Maybe try eating a lot of fibrous vegetables, or if you can manage (I know it might be hard) some beans, prunes, or wheat toast. Don't forget lots of water too.

If the above doesnt work, or it's prolonged, try seeing a physician because if it goes on too long it can make you sick.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolleen7 View Post
I think that the constipation is just because your body is not used to the food that it now has, so digestion is very very slow. When there is not a lot of food to digest, it slows everything down, therefore your metabolism and the inner workings of your body get stopped up.

Maybe try eating a lot of fibrous vegetables, or if you can manage (I know it might be hard) some beans, prunes, or wheat toast. Don't forget lots of water too.

If the above doesnt work, or it's prolonged, try seeing a physician because if it goes on too long it can make you sick.

ive seen tons of doctors none help. some say its all in my head and the rest all say something different. ive been this bloated and full for a whole year. and i have been eating normally for the past 9 months with no improvement what so ever.

Closed Thread